AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm seriously looking into the DLP RPTVs, I've been reading the forums and warranty information with great care and detail.

Here are a few things I've noticed:

1. In most extended warranties, if the original part was not warranted by the manuf. for 1 year or more, the extended warranty does not apply.

2. In most extended warranties, consumer replaceable consumables are not covered. The key to this phrase is "consumer replacables." In most extended warranties, they specifically exclude lamps and bulbs. One even spefically stated "projector lamps." However, only if they are consumer replaceable. Now you see the logic behind the manuf. stating the lamp is a service item. If it was not, it would not be covered under the extended warranty. Consumables that are "service" repairs would be covered. (Regardless of how hard or easy it is to replace. If the manuf. details it as a "service" item, it should be covered.)

3. Of course read the entire document when getting an extended warranty. They like to put lots of "exclusions" near the middle or end.

4. Also read the manuf. warranty completely. Be sure they state the lamp is "service repair." I believe I recall the Sony does not state that, but the Samsung and Mitsubishi do. So if that is true. Sony people are out of luck on extended warranties and their lamps.

Just thought I'd pass that on, since I've read many threads going back and forth over this issue.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.