AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a Sharp LC-26GD6U. I have seen it on the Crutchfield website. The set comes with a 1 year parts & labor warranty from Sharp. That seems pretty skimpy to me considering I would be paying $2500 for the set. Anyway, Crutchfield has extended warranties for 3 or 5 years ($189.99 /$299.99 respectively). Looking at the warranty details, it looks like they could refuse to fix just about anything.

Section 11 states

Quote:
11. LIMITATIONS OF COVERAGE. THIS AGREEMENT DOES NOT COVER:
Quote:
F. Nonfunctional parts, walls and infrastructure cabinetry and cabinet frames, decorative finishing, glass, including projection television exterior screens, handles, hinges, knobs, masks, racks, rollers, and shelves. Cosmetic damage is not covered. Failures due to corrosion, rust, dust, animal or insect damage. Consumable items such as: light bulbs, nonfunctional plastic or porcelain parts, exterior/interior finishes, knobs, dials, or handles, trim and/or appearance parts or accessory items such as water or electrical connections and venting equipment, filters, batteries, including rechargeable batteries, bulbs including projection television and LCD projector bulbs, materials and operating supplies which are designed to be consumed during the life of the product. Loss of or damage to data, recording media, and software is not covered.
"Nonfunctional parts?" Does that mean a part that was working but isn't working now isn't covered? "Glass?" Isn't the screen made of glass?

Quote:
G. Damage covered by manufacturer’s warranty, manufacturer’s recall, improper construction, or factory bulletins, (regardless of whether or not the manufacturer is doing business as a going concern).
"Damage covered by manufacturer's warranty?" That sounds like the extended warranty (that starts from the date of purchase) is basically no good for the first year because the manufacturer's warranty covers it. Or does it mean that they won't fix anything that is or was covered by the manufacturer's warranty? It doesn't state either way. And, the part about "improper construction" gets me. Isn't part of the reason you have a warranty is to cover improperly constructed products?

Quote:
P. Television or personal computer monitor screen imperfections, including ‘burn in’ or burned CRT phosphor, caused by video games, prolonged display of one or more signal(s), or other abuse. Damaged or defective LCD screens when the failure is caused by abuse or is otherwise excluded herein. Monitors missing less than ten (10) pixels and Televisions missing less than twenty-one (21) pixels per inch of usable screen space are not covered.
So, you could buy a television and have 21 missing pixels per inch all across the screen and it wouldn't be fixed?

Sounds like a rip off to me. What do you think?

- emhdoc

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a SONY LCD 30XBR900. The warranty they offered also denied coverage for light bulbs. It seems to me that the solid state electronics will fail well within the first year then function up to their Mean Time Between Failure. The only part on a LCD that should fail is the backlight and it sounds like that is not covered.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.