AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading these threads looking for info on the FP TVs. I have decided to find a RP CRT for the next three years or so until there is more quality HD content and the TVs are more reliable and less expensive.

But it Seems everyone is mandating and extended warranty with FP Tvs. This scares me off on a $2000-$4000 TV.

Then the cost of the warranties........ To put things in perspective take an automobile.

It has thousands of mechanical parts, Computer circuits, audio components, bulbs galore, all this operates in enviornments of extreme temperature and in all kinds of extreme environments in rain, snow, 120 degree heat taking bumps from roads etc. YEt the cost of a 5 year extended warranty is only approx 2- 5% of the price of the car!

Yet a 5 year warranty on a $2000 TV which is way less complicated and mostly solid state with few if any moving parts which sits steady in a temperature controlled room costs 20% of the price of the TV!

Because of that crazy pricing logic. I do not and have never bought an extended warranty in the past 30 years on anything and would have rarely used i to it's value.. I saved thousands of dollars in "playing with the house". My brother bought one on a car for $1500. Last year (warranty nearly expired) he had a transmission problem which would have cost $800. He was elated he bought the warranty. I pointed out he actually LOST $700 plus interest as the warranty expired last month. HE did not care as psychologically he got his money's worth. Amazing.

Now I read in these forums with this technology an EW is MANDATORY. For that reason it seems foolish to buy into the technology. Is the technology that unreliable as to mandate an EW or is it more likely the EW has become American business' new huge profit center in the past 20 years? I'm guessing the latter and still refuse all attempts to "scare" me into a warranty for "piece of mind." Paxil is cheaper LOL. When a salesman does this I decide to pass on the product if he has no faith in it lasting 5-10 years like all my past TVs have including my current 9 year old 52" RP Toshiba.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfrog
I have been reading these threads looking for info on the FP TVs. I have decided to find a RP CRT for the next three years or so until there is more quality HD content and the TVs are more reliable and less expensive.

But it Seems everyone is mandating and extended warranty with FP Tvs. This scares me off on a $2000-$4000 TV.

Then the cost of the warranties........ To put things in perspective take an automobile.

It has thousands of mechanical parts, Computer circuits, audio components, bulbs galore, all this operates in enviornments of extreme temperature and in all kinds of extreme environments in rain, snow, 120 degree heat taking bumps from roads etc. YEt the cost of a 5 year extended warranty is only approx 2- 5% of the price of the car!

Yet a 5 year warranty on a $2000 TV which is way less complicated and mostly solid state with few if any moving parts which sits steady in a temperature controlled room costs 20% of the price of the TV!

Because of that crazy pricing logic. I do not and have never bought an extended warranty in the past 30 years on anything and would have rarely used i to it's value.. I saved thousands of dollars in "playing with the house". My brother bought one on a car for $1500. Last year (warranty nearly expired) he had a transmission problem which would have cost $800. He was elated he bought the warranty. I pointed out he actually LOST $700 plus interest as the warranty expired last month. HE did not care as psychologically he got his money's worth. Amazing.

Now I read in these forums with this technology an EW is MANDATORY. For that reason it seems foolish to buy into the technology. Is the technology that unreliable as to mandate an EW or is it more likely the EW has become American business' new huge profit center in the past 20 years? I'm guessing the latter and still refuse all attempts to "scare" me into a warranty for "piece of mind." Paxil is cheaper LOL. When a salesman does this I decide to pass on the product if he has no faith in it lasting 5-10 years like all my past TVs have including my current 9 year old 52" RP Toshiba.

What are your thoughts?
First of all do not let an EW get in the way of a purchase. Shop around for a warranty, there are many options out there. A couple of things to consider.....if you get an EW for a TV that will eventually need a bulb in most cases the EW almost pays for itself. Also, and i plan on doing this at CC, negotiate a lower price on the TV, if the salesman feels you are hesitating on the purchase because of the warranty he/she will bring the price of the TV (i don't think they can with the EW). So if you buy a $2000 TV with a $400 4 year warranty do this, if the TV is on sale for $18-- then try to bring the Tv down another $100 or even $200, then buy the warranty. So if you need a $200 bulb you are pretty much even for those 4 years with peace of mind as an added bonus.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
The automobile analogy is fair, but inaccurate. Nobody would feel comfortable buying an automobile with a one year warranty.

Secondly, auto mfr's in general, offer the best extended warranties. There is never a question of what parts will be used, or where to get it serviced.

The abundance of 3rd party service plans should make it apparent, display manufacturers do not want to be burdened with reasonably long factory warranties, and nothing to do with extended service plans which are all underwritten by 3rd parties, even the ones with their name on it.

All this is irrespective of whether you feel you should buy one or not. That is a personal decision.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:

What are your thoughts?
Well my thoughts are that you are seeing a problem that is not there. :)

How on earth do you conclude that those warrantees are mandatory?

That is simply incorrect, in fact they are optional.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr
if you get an EW for a TV that will eventually need a bulb in most cases the EW almost pays for itself.
Does EW in US include bulb replacement? Here in Canada, I am not aware of any extended warranty which would cover blown bulbs (apart from the original manufacturer's first year warranty).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalak
Does EW in US include bulb replacement? Here in Canada, I am not aware of any extended warranty which would cover blown bulbs (apart from the original manufacturer's first year warranty).
I just purchased a new Dlp rptv today and I added an extended warranty. I had 2 options an ext warranty that included 1 bulb replacement, and a warranty that did not include a bulb replacement. I chose the latter because i would have essentially been pre - paying for a bulb had I chose that policy. Hopefully my new set will last a few years before i need a bulb replacement and in a few years these bulbs may be less expensive. I got such a good deal on my tv that spending a few $$ on a 5 yr in house service plan seemed almost free to me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don' t think these TVs are all that different from other consumer appliances. If you're not into EWs, don't get one. I was tempted, looked into it, and declined. It's a gamble like any other insurance.

Jon

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I may have been misunderstood. When I said Mandatory I meant "Implied" IT seems on the forums and in the stores there is a certain feeling that you NEED to buy a warranty with these TVs otherwise you are literally asking for trouble. There is not such a warning or need for such on any other product I know of.

The automobile analogy is actually a good one as their EW's don't even come into play until the car is 3 years old and already has alot of use in many cases under and in some or all the nasty conditions I mentioned above!! AS well there are many "factory" places to get it fixed with KNOWLEGABLE factory employed technicians unlike some of the TV warranty "authorized" onsite techs I have read about regarding these TVs. That should make an auto warranty MORE expensive as a percentage of the car's cost or a TV EW way less expensive. A TV EW comes into play after only a year of coddled use in a living room! Either the car EW is a huge bargain or the TV EW is a complete rip. I'm guessing the latter.

I have even read in consumer pubs NEVER buy an EW and that has been great advice. Being nearly 50 I can remember when products were not made as well, *Cars, TVs, etc ) and there was no such thing as an EW. You lived with the manufacturer's warranty then were on your own. I guess younger people are "conditioned" to buy those things today out of fear. Fear is the best salesman..

If I can get a $2000 TV for $1700 buy buying a $300 warranty I should be able to get the same TV for $1800 and save the $200. As far as bulb replacement goes, That is a fact of life with these TVs and has to be considered as part of the maintenance ( one of the reasons Im leaning toward plasma but still hold RP CRT dear.).

The fact that most EWs do not cover them is another sign the EW is most likely worthless except for very few. A chance I have been willing to take for many years on many items including 3 laptop computers which cost as much as a FP TV and are moved around.

Anyway I was asking opinions on who felt the need to buy them and it seems most people here do defend them and will rationalize paying for them in some way.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
I may have been misunderstood. When I said Mandatory I meant "Implied" IT seems on the forums and in the stores there is a certain feeling that you NEED to buy a warranty with these TVs otherwise you are literally asking for trouble. There is not such a warning or need for such on any other product I know of.
Sorry I am not sure how old you are but that is how the world works.

Those companies simply try to make more money by talking you into the warrantee.

Really life 101 if you ask me. :)

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not just the companies. I understand that. What I do not understand is the CONSUMERS of these TVs more then likely buying them as if these FP TV's are not reliable enough for $3000.

My question was to the consumer of these products in particular. I am 47 years old and feel all EWs are nothing more then a huge profit center for the stores and of little benefit to all but a very small percentage of unlucky consumers. It would appear though there seem to be more who feel these Tvs are going to need some kind of repair service the way they "assume" the EW cost "automatically" in the purchase. Does this point to the actual dismal reliability of the product ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Kingfrog - The reason EW price/item purchase price is higher on TVs than cars is because EW pricing is based on the expected cost of repairs. It's not based on the cost of the item itself. So, if the expected repair cost is a large percentage of the item's purchase price then the EW pricing will be as well.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Not just the companies. I understand that. What I do not understand is the CONSUMERS of these TVs more then likely buying them as if these FP TV's are not reliable enough for $3000.

My question was to the consumer of these products in particular. I am 47 years old and feel all EWs are nothing more then a huge profit center for the stores and of little benefit to all but a very small percentage of unlucky consumers. It would appear though there seem to be more who feel these Tvs are going to need some kind of repair service the way they "assume" the EW cost "automatically" in the purchase. Does this point to the actual dismal reliability of the product ?
Not in my experience, computers, audio, TVs, electronics like that do not break that quickly, usually they are either DOA or there is a problem quickly after break in, but then it tends to be stable.

And you give the answer to your own question in my opinion, they are pushed because they are profitable.

Next time when you buy a band name product and they recommend an EW react surprised and say something like "really, I thought brand XYZ was really good and reliable, perhaps I should reconsider the purchase". Want to see how quickly they will tell you that the product is really good? :)

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy.e
Kingfrog - The reason EW price/item purchase price is higher on TVs than cars is because EW pricing is based on the expected cost of repairs. It's not based on the cost of the item itself. So, if the expected repair cost is a large percentage of the item's purchase price then the EW pricing will be as well.
Exactly. And I said it was an inaccurate analogy because no one would consider getting a new car that only had a one year warranty. We are talkilng apples and oranges.

Unfortunately, kingfrog, this is still a relatively new 'frontier'. That's why the decision to buy a service plan requires more thought. But the halfway point, is to get one that can be cancelled with a pro rated refund. Which should always be the case in any event.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Extended warranty means the peace of mind of knowing you will be able to use your purchase for as long as the warranty lasts at a fixed cost- far less than replacement. After all, things do break! I've had two HDTVs break a year and a half after purchase. One service call on a TV is about $300 today, if it is a minor repair.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Exactly...Most are buying only piece of mind. A very few ever use the EWs. But if someone uses it once, even if it is less then the paid coverage they buy EW's for life. The odds are in the house favor otherwise they would not sell them. Hence why they do not cover bulbs which are going out sooner then manufacturers claims.

I do agree with htpcfan in that if the warranty is a "must" the product must not be reliable after the initial period where in electronics especially and exclusively most that will go wrong does sooner rather then later.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Short Warranties for Digital TVs Incense Consumers

A customer in Gyeonggi Province who was charged a whopping W1.5 million (about US$1,500) to repair a year-old TV is not alone, anecdotal evidence suggests.

At the end of 2003, the man identified as Lee forked out W6 million for a 60-inch projection TV from a leading electronics retailer. Last month the picture started to deteriorate, and he called LG Electronics for repairs. The service agent acknowledged technical defects in the TV but still demanded W1.5 million for repairs, explaining the warranty had expired. "I was told that even if I get it repaired, I would have to pay the same if it malfunctions again some months later,†Lee says.

Others tell similar tales, all because digital TVs -- PDP and LCD alike -- come with warranty periods of only a year, even as the humble CRT TVs from major manufacturers come guaranteed for up to four years.

The problem is that most digital TVs undergo insufficient quality control. In many cases technical flaws are discovered more than a year after purchase, and by then it is too late to get free repairs.

Similar things happen with 40-inch LCD TVs, which were sold for the first time in autumn of 2002. Samsung Electronics belatedly learned this year that the capabilities of its LCDs rapidly diminish, but it has yet to make a public recall or offer free repairs.

Consumer groups are calling for the warranty period for digital TVs to be extended to four years. But manufacturers will hear nothing of it, claiming that their products' price competitiveness would drop if the warranty period is extended.

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/ht...509200013.html

·
Registered
500 Posts
Quote:
Exactly...Most are buying only piece of mind. A very few ever use the EWs. But if someone uses it once, even if it is less then the paid coverage they buy EW's for life. The odds are in the house favor otherwise they would not sell them. Hence why they do not cover bulbs which are going out sooner then manufacturers claims.
You cannot generalize the terms of extended warranties. BestBuy covers multiple bulb replacements. At some point (I think 3), they don't replace the bulb but instead replace the set.

Circuit City currently only replaces one bulb.

Fry's doesn't replace a bulb (as I recall).

Ed Kellum in Dallas replaces multiple bulbs but will replace the set like Best Buy after you burn through too many. The same thinking as BB applies. If you burn that many, then somethings wrong with the set, not the bulb.

Conn's does one as I recall but I didn't get their paper so I could be wrong.

Sears does multiple replacements and goes even further. They'll come to your house each year and do a cleaning and tune up of your set.

I don't know what Costco's bulb policy is, but if you remain a member during the life of your set and it fails, you can return it. Period. I think they're crazy but as someone said, they are using business sense to play the percentages.

I just started looking at policies from the likes of Crutchfields, Vanns, Abes, etc. Just like the above, the terms are across the board.

All of the extended warranties vary in price and length of term. Shopping counts and should be a core criteria in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloBox
You cannot generalize the terms of extended warranties. BestBuy covers multiple bulb replacements. At some point (I think 3), they don't replace the bulb but instead replace the set.
I think that's a common misconception. Replacing the lamp is normal maintnenance. Of course, if it goes out every month, something is wrong, and a repair of some sort if indicated.

The '3' I believe refers to REPAIRS not, replacing lamps.

While convenient, and 'snappy' to call them EWs, they are in fact Service Plans. And the only reason they even exist, is manufacturers have no interest in warranting your purchase much beyond a year. They are out of that business.

That created an opportunity for insurance companies and retailers to establish service plans. A profitable one at that, but you did not expect it free did you?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoaddikt
I think that's a common misconception. Replacing the lamp is normal maintnenance. Of course, if it goes out every month, something is wrong, and a repair of some sort if indicated.

The '3' I believe refers to REPAIRS not, replacing lamps.
Regardless, their warranty covers the bulb replacements. Some do, some don't. Unless you confirm the bulbs for your set are at or below $200, I would seriously consider a warranty of some type. In the Mits 1080p thread, someone mentioned the 150w bulb for the 73727 is a cool $1000. :eek:

I think it would be wise to look at insurance for a set like that. Don't you?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.