AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many AVSers ave purchased an extended warranty...and why...and why not?

Thanx

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
I did not.

Extended warranties are profit centers for retailers. If there was any chance that the retailer would lose money overall on the extended warranty they would not sell it.

·
Registered
499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 /forum/post/0

purchased an extended warranty...andwhy...and why not?

Thanx

Not me, I avoid it even on big purchases like tv's. When you buy an extended warranty, you are buying "piece of mind", but really you are gambling that your new unit will have a problem and you having bought the warranty will come out ahead.

If you avoid buying a warranty, you are gambling that your new hardware won't have a problem, and as such you will come out ahead.

In my experience, if you buy good hardware from good companies, you never have to get repairs, at least in the warranty period. The odds of your new good hardware having an issue during the warranty period are much slimmer than the odds of having to use a warranty, so why gamble on bad odds?

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
This has been discussed on AVS forums hundreds of times. Literally.

No...extended war are a waste of money. Virtually every consumer protection group would agree with me. in fiscal year 2005, 100% of Circuit City's operating profit was from extended warr. Best Buy's warr accounted for 80% of their profit.

This is why they press so hard for you to buy them. Because they make million for them...not you.

The elderly, the ignorant and some younger nervous nannies on AVS will buy them but otherwise they are a waste of money.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
i did at first it was $80 wtih best buy...

first one broke within 30 days they exchanged it.

then that one broke about 4 months later and they exchanged it but said i needed to pay $80 to get the extended warranty again.

f that $80 for everytime my player breaks i rather send it to toshiba.

plus i trust the a2 allot more then my 2 busted a1's.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I MOSTLY agree with the above posts, with the exception of buying electronics with known issues. I almost never get the extended warrenty, however with the number of bricked Xbox 360s out there I did get the cheapest extended warrenty I could find when I bought my elite. Yes, It is still a waste of money, but the odds are that the 36o has a 10% chance of dieing the first year and the warrenty is only 90 days.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
yah i spent $350 for warranty on my laptop at best buy.

it broke 3 days later and they wouldnt help me said it was my fault so it would cost me $300 to fix......

i also posted an answer on your other thread about a different situation.

i did get an extended warranty on my which was like $300 but i sort of think its worth it on tv's since it will be kind of hard to ship it back to sony for them to fix lol.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by help-r-monkey /forum/post/0

I MOSTLY agree with the above posts, with the exception of buying electronics with known issues. I almost never get the extended warrenty, however with the number of bricked Xbox 360s out there I did get the cheapest extended warrenty I could find when I bought my elite. Yes, It is still a waste of money, but the odds are that the 36o has a 10% chance of dieing the first year and the warrenty is only 90 days.

I was gonna say. If you're referring to an Xbox 360, then it's worth the money

And that number is like 50%, not 10%...

It's not IF your Xbox will die, it's WHEN.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 /forum/post/0

I was gonna say. If you're referring to an Xbox 360, then it's worth the money

And that number is like 50%, not 10%...

It's not IF your Xbox will die, it's WHEN.

So the concesus seems to be don't buy an extended warranty unless you are buying the xbox360.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I never do. I figure I'll be replacing it anyway......maybe with the new Samsung dual format player. There are an aweful lot of good Blu movies I'd like to see too

·
Registered
1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 /forum/post/0

purchased an extended warranty.....and why....or why not?

Thanx

I bought the 5-Year extended warranty when I bought my HD-A1 in May 2006 only because is was the 1st HD DVD player in the market. So far I haven't used the warranty.

...Angelo

·
Registered
640 Posts
I buy _only_ if my research of the product indicates widespread issues. I have needed to use every extended warranty I've purchased. On some products, like front projectors, they make sense if they cover bulbs. They usually cost significantly less than a replacement bulb, so they can be a worthwhile investment.

I remember the good old days when you could get multiple replacements on an extended warranty--some folks made out with multiple trade-ups. My best experience--I had an old 46 inch RP TV. I bought a 5 year warranty ($200) with it and (as expected) a gun died. The store replaced it with a 55 inch HD DLP model.

Brian

·
Registered
5,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk /forum/post/0

Bought mine at Costco. No extended warranty needed if you buy from there since they basically have a lifetime return policy on DVD players.

Exactly, and if you use your Amex, they extend it to 2 years for you. I figure in 2 years if it breaks, it's just an excuse to buy a new player

·
Registered
688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk /forum/post/0

Exactly, and if you use your Amex, they extend it to 2 years for you. I figure in 2 years if it breaks, it's just an excuse to buy a new player

How exactly can you extend a lifetime warranty?

·
Registered
977 Posts
I know i got an extended warranty, just can't remember how long. 4 years i think.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts