AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Samsung pn58c8000 and so far so good. I've read some people saying that they developed cracks in their plasma weeks/months after. Anyone go for an extended warranty on their TV?

I bought mine on Amazon and they are still offering the Square Trade warranty but i'm not sure how well those warranty's are.

I paid about $2K with the 3-D glasses and the 3-D blu ray player shipped. Anyone say take the chance, or get the extended warranty? I hate to spend the extra but if the majority of people got it and say its recommended I may consider it.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
get the extended warranty

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the square trade warranty's legit? I read over on CNET a thread where people with Plasma's experienced cracking screens a few weeks/months after owning. Seems like Samsung is fixing some of them when people complain enough. I don't even want to go through all of that.

My option is to get the extended warranty, or, return the TV within the 30 day period. I'd rather keep it but those threads got me concerned now.

·
Registered
721 Posts
paid with AMEX, got a free 2nd year. that's good enough for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I paid 199 CDN on a 1499 panasonic. Best Buy/Future Shop were charging around 449 for the same TV warranty. I didn't mind paying 199 for the peace of mind with a 5 year warranty.

But I also invested into a Monster HTS 1600 power center when i first starting building my system. I would highly suggest you invest in good surge protection/power filtration.

I'm not a warranty pusher, but this is the first TV i've bought without having a staff purchase :/ So I wanted to take the extra step to protect my investment.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No extended warranty for me. I only bought a 42" plasma so it's not a giant investment. After 1 year, I'll just keep my fingers crossed and if it dies, it's an excuse for an upgrade.

Reminds me of a fly fishing trip when a rod cracked and my friend's immediate reaction was, "Sweet! Now you can get a new fly rod!"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts