AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a Samsung DLP, probably the HLN507W or the new HLN567W.

I have been reading on this forum about the problems with the bulb burning out. Does anyone know of a warranty that covers the bulb replacement? And possibly the name of the Store that carries the warranty... Thank you

Ona

·
Registered
856 Posts
I thought all of warranties cover the bulb for a period of time or hours. I'm sure it won't cover it forever because, afterall it's just a bulb and won't last forever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have read on this forum that some warranties cover the bulb and some don't, I would like to know which ones do, that will sway my purchase.

Thanks,

Ona

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Samsung has replaced a lot of the defective bulbs. I've read (no first hand experience) that Best Buy includes bulbs in their extended warranty. You would have to get a HLN5065 instead of a HLN507 or HLN567 if you buy from BB.

·
Registered
856 Posts
What about the extended warranty from TV Authority, (the Repair Master Service Plan)? Does it cover the bulb and micro mirrors? They tell me it covers everything the Factory warranty covers.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Several people have reported that Samsung has repaired or replaced sets with mirror problems but I'll bet it's not in the warranty. The same for early failure of bulbs or problems related to the bulbs. Samsung has made it right for a lot of people but it's probably not in their warranty.

I doubt it's in the extended warranty (really an insurance policy from a third party).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I considered the extended warranty from Tweeter when I purchased the HLN617W.

The warranty states that they do not cover parts which have a limited life expectancy and are considered replacement parts. IE: Batteries and also the lamp. The lamp is a replacement part which would likely be covered by Samsung during the 1 year warranty but not covered by the extended warranty.

What the extended warranty would cover would be any damage resulting from a destructive bulb failure. If the bulb exploded or failed in a destructive mode the resulting damage would be covered.

As far as the mirror or rather the chip which houses the mirrors I would expect that to be covered by either/both warranties. This is not a scheduled replacement part and would be no different than a CRT tube failing during the warranty period.

Of course all of this is academic if the failure is not product/workmanship related. I don't believe the manufacturers warranty would cover for surge related problems (ie: Lightning) etc.

I don't know if the manufactures extended warranty would cover this type of damage.

At the end of the day I think the decision to purchase an extended warranty would come down to your concerns about the likelihood of a failure of either the color wheel or the DLP chip (stuck mirrors). The data on the chip indicates a 100K/cycle life span which would seem to indicate the likelihood of failure is probably low. I have not heard anything about the life expectancy of the color wheel/motor assembly.

I have decided to wait for close to the 30 days to detemine whether to extend the basic warranty.

I took the money I would have spent for the warranty and made sure I put a top end UPS/surge suppression system infront of the tv to isolate it from noise and crap on the incoming line.

·
Registered
252 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Best Buy's PSP covers the bulb, and anything esle that would cause the set to alter from its day one quality. They don't exclude any parts, and in their camcorders and cell phones acutally cover battery replacement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.