AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sony Bravia KDL-52XBR9 and KDL-52Z5100 owners, we are counting down to the final days to file a warranty claim with our extended warranty that Sony has graciously given us. This all ends 3/31/2014. Many of you bought these sets in 2009 and 2010 and yes your TV is still under warranty believe it our not. So if you have ghosting, vertical lines, or other LCD panel issues give Sony a call today and get your TV replaced for free.

http://esupport.sony.com/news/449/US/EN/

Sony's phone number is 1-888-649-7669. When you call, you must be in front of your TV and you will need your serial number.

I'm getting my TV replaced for free with another xbr9 with a 2 year extended warranty. Not bad since I bought my TV back in 2009. At first they did not know about the extended warranty but their story quickly changed once I mentioned it. They will ship the TV and then provide a pre-paid return shipping label to send the old TV back in 15 days. I will caution everyone on two points:

1) mention that you have vertical lines on your TV. Sony was saying that my screen anomalies were not covered by the extended warranty since my issues were not an LCD panel issue.

"In addition, customers who paid out-of-pocket to repair the LCD Panel due to picture anomalies on one of the Affected Models prior to the date of this announcement may be eligible to be reimbursed by mail for parts and labor expenses."

source: http://esupport.sony.com/news/449/US/EN/

2) when they ask you if anything has changed with your setup just say nothing has changed to avoid any trouble.

I hope this helps anyone out there get their TV replaced.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just received my replacement TV today and it is a Bravia KDL-55W802A! They had told me I was getting another Bravia KDL-52XBR9 but this one showed up instead. The TV is brand new and came in original packaging. I am pretty happy about getting this new TV and slightly larger with 3D support and LED technology. Go Sony! Plus I have the free extended 2 year warranty on this TV.

·
Registered
25 Posts
First,

I want to thank you bri4jenn for posting this as I have an 52XBR9 and I was not aware of the extended warranty. I went to go purchase a new TV since this TV was getting to a point where it was not watchable. The store I was purchasing said that they would take a look at the TV since I was getting a new one.

They informed me of the panel being bad. I did a search for the 52XBR9 here and found this post.

Second,

Calling Sony was as painless as it could be. I gave them the serial information and explained to them my issue. I qualified for a new TV. I did ask about the new TV being a KDL55W802a. I told them that I had already got the KDL55W900a. I was interested in getting that TV and explained that I would even be willing to pay a additional fee to get it. After talking to 3 different people and being put on hold while they tried to process the information. I was told that they could not do that. My preference was that strictly upon the 240Hz (like the XBR9). Thats why I purchased that TV (KDL55W900).

My hat goes off to Sony anyway. Getting a replacement TV 4 years after the purchase at no fee is a pretty rare situation nowadays. I did know that the TV had a 12 month warranty and everybody has an opportunity to buy a extended plan. I did not. I don't believe there was any obligation to give me a new one so Sony will get my vote any day of the week. I have purchased many TV(s) from Sony and I will continue.

I have not received the TV yet since I had called only (2) days ago but I wanted to thank brijenn and Sony. You made my day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I started having the line issue, then googled and found this thread. I called Sony and they set everything up for me to receive a new tv. I called a day later to ask which tv I would receive. They started to say KDL-60 ... and I was very excited considering I had the "52"XBR9. Then I realized the R550A was not that great and only 120hz. I asked if I could have a 240hz tv as I purchased the top of the line XBR9 with state of the art technology back in the day! The customer service rep said she would ask someone in the warehouse, and put me on hold for a couple minutes. She returned to the line and told me they would send me the 55W900A!! I was very excited and just received the tv a day ago. The tv is amazing, and I just watched my first ever 3D movie ... Cool novelty that I don't mind with the free upgrade. My father always owned Sony tv's and we still have one that works from the early 90's! The new tv's don't seem to last as long, but Sony quality is top notch and they have replaced my tv with an even better one. I will remain a loyal Sony customer!!! Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Registered just so I could post this.

The Warranty has been extended all the way to March 31, 2015. I just got off the phone with Sony and the replacement is on its way.

When the tech answered the phone, I responded with "I am calling in regards to the extended warranty on my Sony TV"

I gave him the model and serial numbers. I told him that the left side of the screen was dimmed and that there was "ghosting" or "tracing" distortions occurring with the picture. After that, he told me that "the best way for Sony to fix this issue is to replace the television."

I gave him my address, and a credit card number (which they will charge if I don't return the broken TV to them. They are paying the return shipping).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
took me a month to get the replacement tv, they sent me a kdl55w800b, after 20 phone calls and third party tv inspection, because sony technicians decided that my tv has physical damage just from looking at the photos i took with my phone...
:eek:

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is weird. I haven't been here in a while but how are people getting different TVs? How did the Matthew get a W900? I was willing to pay $400 for the upgrade and was denied... I wouldn't want the R550 either...

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
took me a month to get the replacement tv, they sent me a kdl55w800b, after 20 phone calls and third party tv inspection, because sony technicians decided that my tv has physical damage just from looking at the photos i took with my phone...
:eek:
The W800B is actually a pretty good performer, you did well with your persistence.

Reactions: Simon R.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hmmm....my issue is a blue vertical line on the left side of the screen.

Picture is sideways.

It disappears after a while and it doesn't always show up.
Hey Dino I was wondering how you made out with your XBR issue. I have the exact same blue line in the same spot. This was a replacement unit from the recall issue in March 2014. I already talked with them and they said they would send me a new unit but I wondered what you received? I really dont want another reconditioned 2009 TV for fear of getting an even worse one. First lasted like 3 years 2nd just over 1 year. The new one they send will just have the balance of my current warranty so only like 5 months

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Hey Dino I was wondering how you made out with your XBR issue. I have the exact same blue line in the same spot. This was a replacement unit from the recall issue in March 2014. I already talked with them and they said they would send me a new unit but I wondered what you received? I really dont want another reconditioned 2009 TV for fear of getting an even worse one. First lasted like 3 years 2nd just over 1 year. The new one they send will just have the balance of my current warranty so only like 5 months
Ron,

Consider yourself lucky. Sony basically flipped me the bird. They said that my problem isn't related to the issue and that they can fix my TV but they would have to bill me.

I've had 4 Sony HDTVs over the last 15 years and 3 of them have had problems.
- 1 of them, an HD CRT RPTV died completely. (This was around 2004. It died after 2 years)
- Another had issues with HD content (circa 2000) where it would flash all the time. (The "fix" was to switch from component video to vga from my HD source....I had to buy an external device to convert my component signals to vga)
- And then this set has issues with that blue line
- My fourth Sony is much newer and I worry about it now considering their track record with me.

I have also had bad luck with Sony A/V receivers.

Currently I own 19 HDTVs (I am a little nutty) and I usually get about 2 new TVs per year. (I am constantly upgrading) The only other TV I've had issues with over the last 15 years was a Mitsubishi DLP RPTV.

I think it is safe to say that I am done with Sony. I think my next set will be an LG 4K OLED next summer. Wow have those prices dropped.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah I think they realized they screwed up with their exchange last year in giving everyone a 2 year warranty. They have no choice, I just am not sure if I should hope for the same model since I know I love the picture and most likely I will get 2 years out of it, maybe 3. Even with that blue line it would be fine for TV but it drives me nuts using it as a monitor with all the white background. I am really fearful of getting anything not 240hz as I really hate the motion on 120 watching sports though maybe it's changed in the last couple year that other tech can make up for it.

I'm not sure if I would get another Sony, I mean this 52xbr9 was a higher end when I got it 2010 and I have almost 6 years so far and likely another 2-3 once I get a new one. We'll see, for me it all comes down to picture quality. I'd give this one a solid 8 and before the Ultra HDs came out this was a 9.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ron,

Consider yourself lucky. Sony basically flipped me the bird. They said that my problem isn't related to the issue and that they can fix my TV but they would have to bill me.

I've had 4 Sony HDTVs over the last 15 years and 3 of them have had problems.
- 1 of them, an HD CRT RPTV died completely. (This was around 2004. It died after 2 years)
- Another had issues with HD content (circa 2000) where it would flash all the time. (The "fix" was to switch from component video to vga from my HD source....I had to buy an external device to convert my component signals to vga)
- And then this set has issues with that blue line
- My fourth Sony is much newer and I worry about it now considering their track record with me.

I have also had bad luck with Sony A/V receivers.

Currently I own 19 HDTVs (I am a little nutty) and I usually get about 2 new TVs per year. (I am constantly upgrading) The only other TV I've had issues with over the last 15 years was a Mitsubishi DLP RPTV.

I think it is safe to say that I am done with Sony. I think my next set will be an LG 4K OLED next summer. Wow have those prices dropped.
So I heard back, Dino being the TV guru you seem to be (Gotta be with that many). What are you thoughts on the 55w950b? That was what they want to replace it with. I guess I should in case the xbr9 blue line gets worse but it only comes up once every few weeks and then goes away after an hour or so.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
So I heard back, Dino being the TV guru you seem to be (Gotta be with that many). What are you thoughts on the 55w950b? That was what they want to replace it with. I guess I should in case the xbr9 blue line gets worse but it only comes up once every few weeks and then goes away after an hour or so.
Hey Ron,

I am no expert. I just like to have lots of TVs and I upgrade often. I use the trickle down method. I will usually upgrade one of my larger sets. The set that was at that location will then go to another location and so on and so forth. So when I get a new set, I may well end up moving upwards of 5-6 TVs. :) That number of sets is actually between my main home and my beach home and I can also be a little nuts. For example, I have 3 TVs in the kids beach home bedroom. I have a wall mounted Samsung 40" up high on a wall. In that room I have a pair of full size bunkbeds. Well, the people in the bottom bunk can't see the TV on the wall. So I added a 22" Samsung 1080p TV attached to the bottom of the top bunk of each bunk bed that flip down (these are typicallly referred to as under cabinet mounts).

After doing this for many years, I have found that what is right for you is right for you. If you come to these forums even the best TV will have some number of folks that will nitpick something. Sometimes, you could be totally happy with your set and then have folks on a forum point something out. You may then find that you think you see the same issue. It will drive you nuts.

My personal favorite sets are Sharp for 1 reason and a reason which is most important to me. Sharps have the most matte screens. (well they used to, the 2015 models seem to be more reflective) I have a few rooms where I have LOTS of windows. There is nothing I hate more than a reflective TV in those rooms. It causes me eye strain as I struggle to focus past the reflection of myself to try and see the picture.

If I am putting a TV in a room without issues from windows, price is next most important to me. As long as it is a major name brand. I don't buy "B" brands. So, I have:
4 - Sharp
8 - Samsung
3 - Sony (I forgot that I actually have 1 more Sony than I recalled)
2 - Panasonic (1 is a front projector)
2 - LG

So, what I am getting at is, consider yourself fortunate that they are swapping your set. The person I got was actually not helpful and somewhat patronizing. Don't dwell on the threads about it. If you like it, you like it. Don't listen too much to what others say. I am sure that the 950B will look nice. It will be different than your previous set as it is LED lit vs CCFL lit. I prefer LED (both edge and back). The new set also offers local dimming. So contrast should be much better than your previous set. I'd be ecstatic if they swapped my 52" CCFL TV for a 55" LED backlit with local dimming. (Not sure if it is edge lit or backlit, but either way it is still better IMO)

Enjoy it.

I tend to ramble on sometimes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's fine I ramble too. So guess what, I got an email that Sony has no inventory to send me so instead they are going to issue me a refund of the purchase amount? REALLY? I swear this is too good to be true but we will see. I have to send them a copy of my receipt which I luckily was able to have Best Buy pull for me. Just waiting on them to email it to me and will let everyone know what Sony does. It makes no sense to me to refund my original amount which was like $1900. I mean give me a top end Sony TV, that would be less expensive to them overall. Kinda a pain since I need to send in my TV then they will send my check in 4-6 weeks. Once it's confirmed I'm going to grab something ok at Costco since they have 90 return policy then get something really nice come Black Friday. Likely not a Sony though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ugh turns out Best Buy couldnt pull a copy of the receipt due to the age. They have the full details but cant send a receipt copy. Going to have to fight with Sony I guess. I feel they have no leg to stand on here, I'd love the check but being they have already verified my warranty claim they are required to send me a replacement TV otherwise what is the point of the warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So after all that, Sony did opt to just give me a brand new tv, kdl55w800c. Works for me though I would have rather taken the cash and bought another brand.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts