AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at $400, this is really the first time I really want to make sure my investment is protected for a console system. We all know that some xbox's had issues with disc drives and hard drives in the past.

I'd hope for 2-5 year options..

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
When I bought my XBOX, there was an insert about MS's warranty. I paid them the $60. It ended up being a good deal b/c I had to have my unit replaced. I'd hope they again have a first party warranty.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I got mine at EB and their warranty was crap. I forget how much it was but I just got it for 1 year. You weren't allowed to even renew it after the year was up. I'll prob get mine from Best Buy this time with a 4 year warranty.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
3 years. Normally I also just throw away packaging and most of the paper inserts. I found it while looking for the registration information (I always register stuff in case of recall). I bought the XBOX about 6 months after launch, and had read about the buggy disc drives, so I figured it would be a good idea.

·
Registered
270 Posts
EB's warranty will probably be around $40 for one year, at least. Add that to the bundle that they'll almost certainly be forcing, and things will be quite costly.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Just buy it from costco. :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
the costco return policy policy is very liberal. essentially its a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I second costco, my buddy had a washing machine that crapped out 3 years after he bought it and costco gave him full in store credit for his purchase towards another one.

·
Registered
199 Posts
And costco always has a bundle pack that is cheaper than eb's or gamestop's. And if you know some one at those stores you can trade the game in the pack straight up for another game.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Warranties on electronics just don't make financial sense. First of all, if you can't afford the cost of replacing a $400 toy you probably should working a second job in order to become solvent instead of playing video games , but I won't go there.

Say you get a $60 warrant for an extra two years of "protection." That $60 is 15% of the total value the item. By comparison two years of insurance for my $39,000 BMW costs me about $2,760 or about 7% of the total value of the vehicle. Keep in mind that if the insurance was only for my vehicle and not for anybody else I may hit it and maim would be significantly less.

All I'm saying is do the math. I don't see why you'd want to voluntarily put some insurance executive's kid through college...

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
um, if your xbox360 breaks a week after the manufacturing date is up, It does make financial sense.. $60

That said, the Costco plan sounds like the best way to go so far..Also most retailers like Circuity City will negotiate on the extended coverage price.

·
Registered
949 Posts
@299.99 for a system, the Best Buy replacement plan is $39.99. The $399.99 Premium system will probably fetch a slightly higher price, but there currently isn't a Game System Replacement Plan Sku for more than $299. I'd assume $45-$50 for it when the time comes.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
um, if your xbox360 breaks a week after the manufacturing date is up, It does make financial sense.. $60

That said, the Costco plan sounds like the best way to go so far..Also most retailers like Circuity City will negotiate on the extended coverage price.
Is this Costco "no questions asked" return policy valid without a receipt?.. if so, they'd probably track your 360 purchase from the card and no go on returning one purchased elsewhere.

Jasman

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
The first time I bought a replacement plan from BB for my original XB was $14.95 and I used it after lightning killed it. The replacement unit made me buy another, but it haven been 15-16 months (maybe longer) the price went up to $19.95. I do not know how long it was for, but it had to have been at least a couple of years.

·
Registered
50 Posts
One nice thing about the core system....if you do not buy an additional warrenty, when you need to replace the $400 unit, you will be able to just buy the $300 and put the detachable HDD and stuff on the 'core system' ....which will hopfully be even cheaper in a year...so perhaps replacing your 360 will only cost $200 to 'replace' by reusing the old HDD....now $200 (maybe) vs $60 (for certain) is a little bit eaiser to say yes too.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Somehow I do not see paying $300 as being better than $20-25. Anyone know what the BB replacement plan will increase to (or has increased to) for the consoles this Fall?

·
Registered
108 Posts

briankmonkey said:

So what is your point? If an extended warranty for my $20,000 car was offered for a price of $5,000, even though $5,000 is less than $20,000 doesn't mean that it makes financial sense to purchase an extended warranty at that price.

At $60 (15% of the purchase price), basically for the public as a whole to benefit from buying the warranty, the defect rate would have to be 15% or higher. If that is the defect rate of the product, I don't want to own it anyway.

If you want to get an unbiased opinion about extended warranties, go to www.clarkhoward.com . He is an Atlanta area consumer advocate who has recently gone more nationwide in his publications and TV shows.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.