AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have an opinion whether is worth it? Gateway wants $499 for a three year extended warranty on its 56" DLP unit. Doesn't cover a replacement projector lamp. Regular manufacturer's warranty is 1 year parts and labor, 90 days on the bulb.

·
Registered
64 Posts
gd85---

It's a crapshoot. I just bought the Gateway and declined the extended warrantee myself. I've bought 4 bigscreen TV's now and, so far, have never had a service man come out for any needed repairs. So I guess that I trust that the engineers that design and put together these products know what their doing. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess over the course of a lifetime, if you never buy an extended warranty on anything you will come out ahead financially. You may get burned once or twice with repairs, but will save $$ thousands on extended warranties.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You can also get burned on buying an extended warranty. Three years ago my wife and I bought a new Pontiac for a pretty good price but since we had trouble with a Pontiac before--nothing major-just irritating minor things-I thought we should get an extended warranty-so for $1500 bucks we had bumper to bumper coverage for 6 years or 100.000 miles. Just learned 2 months ago that the warranty company went belly up---no coverage! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.