AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was finally done selecting a HDTV, the Panasonic TC-P50G20 but when I started looking into extended warranties, I realized I still have a long way to go.
My main concern here is that in case the TV breaks, I don't have the time or resources to take it back to the repair shop/ UPS store or even the store. I would like to pay for a service that will cover these for me.

I found out that the Best Buy Geek Squad Black Tie protection plans includes at home service and pickup/delivery in case the TV is broken.

How does this compare to Costco's Extended Warranty or Square Trade Warranty if I bought it from Amazon. Are there other companies I should consider?

My question is, what is the best option of extended warranty out there that will cover at home repairs and pick up/delivery for replacement.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply. How does it work compared to Best Buy? will have a 3rd party technician come to your place to repair the TV or take it away in case it breaks.

·
Registered
582 Posts
You do everything online pretty much through your email address. You type in the receipt info on their site which they will send through an email. I bought mine at Amazon so they send it through your amazon account email. You email the copy of the bill of the repairs and they transfer the funds to your card, paypal account, and etc. Read the reviews on Amazon. The only site that you can actually read how good a warranty is by reviews that I know of. I've heard negative things about Best Buy warranty and Costco warranty is extended by the manufacturer which will take a long time to fix at times if you have to send it in.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittay /forum/post/19537779

I was finally done selecting a HDTV, the Panasonic TC-P50G20 but when I started looking into extended warranties, I realized I still have a long way to go.
My main concern here is that in case the TV breaks, I don't have the time or resources to take it back to the repair shop/ UPS store or even the store. I would like to pay for a service that will cover these for me.

I found out that the Best Buy Geek Squad Black Tie protection plans includes at home service and pickup/delivery in case the TV is broken.

How does this compare to Costco's Extended Warranty or Square Trade Warranty if I bought it from Amazon. Are there other companies I should consider?

My question is, what is the best option of extended warranty out there that will cover at home repairs and pick up/delivery for replacement.

How does it work compared to Best Buy? will have a 3rd party technician come to your place to repair the TV or take it away in case it breaks.

Virtually all extended warranty providers (Mack, Square Trade, Repairmaster, BB, etc) all use the same authorized local independent TV repair centers that the manufacturers use, and the service they provide is pretty much the same as when the TV is under the manufacturer's warranty. The only real difference is that the warranty provider pays the repair center's bill instead of the manufacturer paying it. 42" and larger TVs are almost always repaired in-home if at all possible because they like to do it in one single visit. It's a hassle for them to take it back to their shop because that also means they have to bring it back, but sometimes they still can't get it fixed in-home in and in that case they need to take it back to their shop for further diagnosis.

There are several Extended Warranty threads in the Plasma forum, LCD forum, and Flat Panel General forum with tons of discussion and info if you care to run a few searches. Mack is the best of the bunch, their warranties are inexpensive (mine was $120) and they've been in business for like 70 years. BB's warranty is way too expensive and their fine print has some undesirable gotcha's that could ultimately screw you if the TV is deemed to expensive to repair (like they reserve the right to replace it with whatever they determine to be an equitable replacement, even if it's a different brand).

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
Virtually all extended warranty providers (Mack, Square Trade, Repairmaster, BB, etc) all use the same authorized local independent TV repair centers that the manufacturers use, and the service they provide is pretty much the same as when the TV is under the manufacturer's warranty. The only real difference is that the warranty provider pays the repair center's bill instead of the manufacturer paying it. 42" and larger TVs are almost always repaired in-home if at all possible because they like to do it in one single visit. It's a hassle for them to take it back to their shop because that also means they have to bring it back, but sometimes they still can't get it fixed in-home in and in that case they need to take it back to their shop for further diagnosis.

There are several Extended Warranty threads in the Plasma forum, LCD forum, and Flat Panel General forum with tons of discussion and info if you care to run a few searches. Mack is the best of the bunch, their warranties are inexpensive (mine was $120) and they've been in business for like 70 years. BB's warranty is way too expensive and their fine print has some undesirable gotcha's that could ultimately screw you if the TV is deemed to expensive to repair (like they reserve the right to replace it with whatever they determine to be an equitable replacement, even if it's a different brand).
Yea but the nice thing about BB's warranty is ultimately you can pick to simply get store credit for the most comparable TV to yours, and you can buy whatever brand you want to.

I've had some good experience with Geek Squad warranties and I would definitely recommend it. I've never tried Costco's warranty.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabolino /forum/post/19539843

Yea but the nice thing about BB's warranty is ultimately you can pick to simply get store credit for the most comparable TV to yours, and you can buy whatever brand you want to.

The problem with BB's warranties are that if they determine that your TV is "unrepairable", or too expensive to repair, they reserve the right to replace it with a similar item of their choosing instead of giving you store credit - they won't let you decide if you want a store credit. It's in their fine print and it's happened to a number of people here. Some were able to kick and scream and get a store credit instead when we were able to tell them how a particular brand/model is not an equitable replacement for their defective TV. They have a financial interest in giving you a new TV at their cost instead of paying a lot more to have your TV repaired (like replacing the plasma screen for instance). Most of the time though they seem to be pretty good about giving a store credit.

Quote:
I've had some good experience with Geek Squad warranties and I would definitely recommend it. I've never tried Costco's warranty.

All Costco does is pay the factory authorized repair center during year two. It's identical to the manufacturer's warranty, it's just that Costco pays the bill instead of the manufacturer.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/19542101

The problem with BB's warranties are that if they determine that your TV is "unrepairable", or too expensive to repair, they reserve the right to replace it with a similar item of their choosing instead of giving you store credit - they won't let you decide if you want a store credit. It's in their fine print and it's happened to a number of people here. Some were able to kick and scream and get a store credit instead when we were able to tell them how a particular brand/model is not an equitable replacement for their defective TV. They have a financial interest in giving you a new TV at their cost instead of paying a lot more to have your TV repaired (like replacing the plasma screen for instance). Most of the time though they seem to be pretty good about giving a store credit.

Umm No Your Wrong what Best Buy will do is first Try to match you up with something Spec for spec with what you had before..if you paid 4,000 for a tv 4 years ago you wont get a 4,000 dollar TV. They will Match you up with what you had before ONCE it doesnt Exceed cost of what you paid in the First place..As we All See Technology is getting Better and a tv that was 4 grand a couple years ago you can get for 2 grand.

.Now on the Gift card/store Credit issue.. They will give you a store Credit for the most comparable Tv to what you had before OR if your happy with the TV they picked out you can take it...They WILL NOT force you to take the Tv. you can always Up-grade if you want! Only Way that happens is if You were being a ****** bag to the sales person or manager then they wont work with you at all.. Ive Done countless amount of exchanges.. and depending on the Customers attitude i go from there.. I totally understand.. and if you paid 4 grand for a tv ..ill get you back something comparable.. i cant get you a 4 grand Tv. NO Manager will Ever approve that cause tha Market changes every year But i dont Stick you with an insignia or dynex after spending 4 grand...ill even do my best to get you back in your same brand too Even if an insignia is the most comparable.90 percent of the time a customer can leave happy if they keep their cool!!

Nd there is a loop hole ... in best buy policy i wont blast it out there and ive helped Many customers get what they want this way ..the policy states "Best buy will Match you SPEC for SPEC for EVERYTHING you had before and if theres nothing comparable to what you had you get what you paid for it back"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.