AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the threads and read much debate about CircuitCity, BestBuy, etc 's Extended Warranty policy. I'm still undecided on which TV I want and where I want to buy it from.

Costco doesn't have the biggest selection, but would anyone be hesitant on purchasing a >$2000 TV from Costco who doesn't offer a warranty like CC or BB?

I'm assuming If something goes wrong with the TV purhased from Costco 2 to 3+ years down the road, I'm stuck with the entire repair bill?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Your assumption is (mostly) incorrect. While it is true that Costco doesn't have an extended warranty that will cover REPAIRS, if ANYTHING goes wrong with your TV in 2 to 3+ years you can return it to Costco (no packaging necessary) for a full refund of your purchase price.

That policy is precisely the reason I chose to forego many months of research into what HDTV was right for me, and instead buy the best TV available at Costco knowing that I can upgrade in a year or two with $0 depreciation.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ate9
and instead buy the best TV available at Costco knowing that I can upgrade in a year or two with $0 depreciation.
Thanks for keeping my cost down when I shop at Costco. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Quote:
That policy is precisely the reason I chose to forego many months of research into what HDTV was right for me, and instead buy the best TV available at Costco knowing that I can upgrade in a year or two with $0 depreciation.
It's people like you that will force them to get rid of that policy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teiresias
It's people like you that will force them to get rid of that policy.
I would have agreed with that statement until the sales guy at my local warehouse in Eden Prairie, MN used that interpretation of the policy to convince me to become a member and purchase a floor model dlp tv.

AND if you read my post it clearly states that "...if ANYTHING goes wrong with your TV..."

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I used to work at Costco and I can tell you this: Yes the retrun policy is great. You can return anything with no time limit. The two main reasons for this include the fact that people are paying for a membership and Costco sees that as pure profit and some of the products that Costco sells are not covered under a manufacture warranty as Costco is not an authorized dealer (this is stated on the Costco website at the bottom of any electronic page). So Costco knows that if you spend say $1,000 to $10,000 on a tv (plasma, CRT, LCD, DLP) you are taking a huge risk if the TV malfunctions say 2 years later. I don't know about you but if I am spending say $1000 and above the TV better be working like new for a lot longer than 5 years. Sure they can jack prices up or offer a warranty for a price but as long as the policy is not abused they will not have to do that. But if something should not be working properly after a period of time and you want to return it go right a head. I remember we would say "You can return it as long as you feel comfortable bringing it back" and that would usually work.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would not abuse the policy, but as you guys have mentioned, I would like the TV to be defect free for many years.

I've been reading the threads on extended warranties, and I would probably buy a 4yr warranty. But if Costco will "warranty" my TV purchased from them, I would feel a heck of a lot more comfortable buying a set from them.

Only problem now would be transporting a 50+ inch tv if it were to break.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Spoke to Samsungs rep yesterday and the 5656w is a hybird. It has the hd2+ and last years cabinet with some of this years parts. Similar to the 5667w but without the cablecard, firewire, pc in, and glink ports. You can see this in the manuals at samsung's website.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Getting close to bitting the bullet for the unit sold at Costco.

I just need to verify... Is puchasing from Costco like having an "free" extended warranty?

Is so, then their deals would be even better because for an extended warranty elsewhere, you have to add an additional approx. $400.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Going to laugh when in 2 years Costco drops their return policy and you guys who can't buy those extended warrantee's anymore, your TV fails and instead of taking advantage of the system, it takes advantage of you.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tygger
Getting close to bitting the bullet for the unit sold at Costco.

I just need to verify... Is puchasing from Costco like having an "free" extended warranty?

Is so, then their deals would be even better because for an extended warranty elsewhere, you have to add an additional approx. $400.
I don't work for Costco but it's a return policy so I wouldn't expect a service guy coming out to my house to repair the set for the rest of my life. I would think if something breaks, and it's out of the manufacturers warranty, you get one chance to return the set. Then you will need to replace it if you want to watch TV.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Greetings,

I represent a non-electronics vendor to Costco, and also became a club member to purchase the Samsung hl-p5674. I can tell you that our purchase contracts with Costco also includes a certain percentage or dollar per unit allowance to Costco from the manufacturer to cover returns, defects, etc. No manufacturer wants to get product returned, for whatever reason.

Many manufacturers want to sell to the warehouse clubs because they will purchase huge volumes of a limited number of styles, no matter what the product. The regular brick and mortar account structure tends to scream about the manufacturers distribution when they sell to the clubs, but the volume is so significant that most manufacturers are now willing to consider these alternate sources of distribution. This is why you will begin to see "clones" of certain styles, such as the Samsung hl-r5656. It is similar, but not exactly like the product they sell to their regular account structure.

I would say that the Costco return policy would only change once the manufacturers get tired of being stuck with the bill. They changed their policy on computers a while back due to excessive returns. Rest assured that the return costs are factored into the cost of each unit sold to Costco, at least it is in our product category. YMMV,

b.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_006
Going to laugh when in 2 years Costco drops their return policy and you guys who can't buy those extended warrantee's anymore, your TV fails and instead of taking advantage of the system, it takes advantage of you.
I'm laughing right now at your foolish remark. No where in this thread is the notion of taking advantage of the system even suggested. Yes, I did say I chose to "buy the best TV available at Costco knowing that I can upgrade in a year or two with $0 depreciation," however this was prefaced by "if ANYTHING goes wrong with your TV in 2 to 3+ years you can return it to Costco (no packaging necessary) for a full refund." As this is a club, with no way to replace a given item 3+ years down the line, I assumed a rational person could infer I was stating my happiness that should ANYTHING go wrong with my TV I would have an opportunity to upgrade with $0 depreciation to my old set. This, IMO is a considerably better deal than an extended warranty. Additionally, even should Costco drop this policy do you really believe they will refuse to honor commitments already made? I don't think so.

Finally I'd like to say I find it disconcerting how people are so quick to attack an innocuous comment intended to help someone in their purchasing decision. The fact that people chose to see another's possible return of defective merchandise only in terms of its effect on their wallets -irrespective of the returnee's right to a working product- says a lot. Even worse, some would gloat over an imagined retribution for for an incorrectly perceived slight.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:
Your assumption is (mostly) incorrect. While it is true that Costco doesn't have an extended warranty that will cover REPAIRS, if ANYTHING goes wrong with your TV in 2 to 3+ years you can return it to Costco (no packaging necessary) for a full refund of your purchase price.

I interpreted your original post to mean you would take advantage of the return policy in a few years if you could find ANYTHING to justify the return so that you could upgrade for free.

Obviously I'm not the only one here.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess I didnt clarify that I don't expect someone to come out and fix my tv, but I like the peace of mind that Costco will exchange/replace my broken set.

Having Costco backup my TV for years makes it worth while to purchase something this expensive from them. If they didn't have this policy, then I would not even consider buying a set from them. To me, it's not worth the risk. That's the only reason why I've posted this question.

I appreciate both the negative and positive comments as I hope others do not abuse their policy as well. I would hate to lose a good thing...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Quote:
No. You don't keep the same TV, you would have to pack it up, haul it to Costco and return it for a new TV. This is, of course, assuming if your TV dies 3 years down the road that they still offer the 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Remember: They reserve the right, at any time, to modify, alter, or update this policy. Your purchase constitutes an agreement to be bound by such modifications, alterations, or updates to this policy. You will not be grandfathered in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uninvited Guest
I interpreted your original post to mean you would take advantage of the return policy in a few years if you could find ANYTHING to justify the return so that you could upgrade for free.

Obviously I'm not the only one here.
Fair enough. I didn't edit my post for clarification in order to negate the possibility of edited substance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nithos
Remember: They reserve the right, at any time, to modify, alter, or update this policy. Your purchase constitutes an agreement to be bound by such modifications, alterations, or updates to this policy. You will not be grandfathered in.
The salesguy who was so eager to promote their anything-goes return policy neglected to mention that. However, I'm still of the belief that a membership-based reseller would do it's best to make right by it's customers/members; policy changes notwithstanding.

Now I'll do my part to keep these boards relevant. That is all you will hear from me on this apparently over-conversed subject.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Quote:
I guess I didnt clarify that I don't expect someone to come out and fix my tv, but I like the peace of mind that Costco will exchange/replace my broken set.
Costco does not exchange or replace anything. In the past, they would give you a cash refund if you had your receipt. The last year+, they have been giving out cards for the credit amount, usable only at Costco.

If someone's TV dies, they have to return it to a Costco store, with or without the box. They will then get store credit or a refund. Nowadays it isn't a big problem since all the Costco's I have been in of late have a huge selection of TV's. But, if you have store credit you will be stuck with whatever they carry, or will carry in the future.

·
Registered
635 Posts
You should bear in mind that Chris_006 works for Best Buy, a company that depends on the profits from selling extended warranties (the sales guys at BB and CC are required to try and do everything possible to sell you an extended warrantly with your electronics purchase). Chris and others have also been outspoken recently on the subject of abusing the BB return policy by people that buy and return multiple TVs.

I wouldn't totally disagree with your statement about me disliking the fact that people like to abuse system's put in place for the honest people, but I'll whoreheartedly disagree with you about the dependancy of our service guarantees. Yes, the company as a whole benefits largely by offering a products guarantee where a manufacture will not - but it is not something our company could do without. I'd say our company largely bases its growth off of customer loyalty, and we gain our customers loyalty by offering services that build a day by day trust. If a customer buys a $4,000 television, and 36 months later it dies, how is that customer going to feel? If they have to foot the repair bill themselves, do you think they'll be bringing their business back to Best Buy, the company that sold them that $4,000 television? Hell no! If on the other hand they paid an additional %10 of their tvs MSRP, and it died in 36 months, we took care of EVERYTHING, replaced the TV with most likely a newer one at this point, when they talk to their friends, and their friends talk to their friends, where do you think they're going?

It's good for everyone involved. If you have a TV, and for the 4 years nothing goes wrong (including the lack of replacement of wear items, such as a lamp), then as a consumer who has purchased what some might call "extended warrantees", in this day and age, I'd consider myself lucky.

So, AkaStp, please don't be so overzealous to jump all over me and others who advocate a certain stance. Rather, you could possibly bite your tongue, and advocate your own stance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaStp
You should bear in mind that Chris_006 works for Best Buy, a company that depends on the profits from selling extended warranties (the sales guys at BB and CC are required to try and do everything possible to sell you an extended warrantly with your electronics purchase).
For what it's worth, I'm new here, and not sure who Chris_006 is, but I can safely say that at Best Buy the extended warranty is no longer king. As a company, we see less than 30% profit on an extended warranty and have stopped putting a huge focus on them. Revenue and margin are THE most important aspects of the business, with accessories and services making up the rest of the majority of profit. Service plan attachment rates are way down company-wide as a result of less focus and our earnings are higher than ever. Don't be fooled into thinking that all we want to do is sell you a warranty...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.