AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all new to the forum and to purchasing hdtv's.

I have decided to get the TH-50PX80U 720p plasma because I am not a video junkie and dont think I will purchase bluray ever (therefore no need for 1080p). I mean I have 5 dvds to my name. I watch divx movies.

Anyway, crutchfield is offering a 5 year warranty for 159. Is this a fair price? Is a warranty needed for a tv under 1k?

Thank you,.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtech20059 /forum/post/15434927

Hello all new to the forum and to purchasing hdtv's.

I have decided to get the TH-50PX80U 720p plasma because I am not a video junkie and dont think I will purchase bluray ever (therefore no need for 1080p). I mean I have 5 dvds to my name. I watch divx movies.

Anyway, crutchfield is offering a 5 year warranty for 159. Is this a far price? Is a warranty needed for a tv under 1k?

That's a decent price for a 5-year warranty, and Crutchfield is a solid vendor.

But you don't have to be a video junky to take advantage of 1080p - it makes everything look smoother and more natural, even SD. Plus it has better black levels, better colors, better processing, and less jaggies as well as a complete lack of SDE. How far will you be sitting from the screen?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hello randy thank you for the response. my living room is about 16 wide and 20long. i will be sitting about 15' straight ahead and about 9 to 10 on a 30 degree angle/or to the side. not sure if i want to spend extra 200 to 300 for 1080p, but if you think that it makes the pictures look better maybe i will reconsider. i plan on using timewarner digital cable and using a Pioneer DVD Player w/HDMI Output, USB Input and JPEG so that i can watch my divx movies. thats about it. i dont play video games. thank you.

ps. what is sd?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtech20059 /forum/post/15435740

hello randy thank you for the response. my living room is about 16 wide and 20long. i will be sitting about 15' straight ahead and about 9 to 10 on a 30 degree angle/or to the side. not sure if i want to spend extra 200 to 300 for 1080p, but if you think that it makes the pictures look better maybe i will reconsider. i plan on using timewarner digital cable and using a Pioneer DVD Player w/HDMI Output, USB Input and JPEG so that i can watch my divx movies. thats about it. i dont play video games. thank you.

ps. what is sd?

SD is standard definition and SDE is screen door effect I believe

·
Registered
5,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C /forum/post/15483108

Well, considering my brand new TH-50PX80U died this morning after 3 hours of use, I think the extended warranty is probably a good way to go.

Sorry to hear about that. At least you have the manufacturer's warranty to start with.

Chris

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtech20059 /forum/post/15435740

ps. what is sd?

at this distance, 1080p isn't necessary correct?

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you get an extended warranty at Sears ($300 - 3 year, but it's concurrent with the manufacturer's warranty), they will come out yearly to scrape the excess plasma away from the back of the screen, replace/clean the plasma tubes and refill the lost plasma. At least that's what the local Sears salesman said. We went elsewhere very quickly...

·
Registered
24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesickstan /forum/post/15486675

If you get an extended warranty at Sears ($300 - 3 year, but it's concurrent with the manufacturer's warranty), they will come out yearly to scrape the excess plasma away from the back of the screen, replace/clean the plasma tubes and refill the lost plasma. At least that's what the local Sears salesman said. We went elsewhere very quickly...

Our family recently just purchased this same TV, with that same 300 dollar warranty. I'm still new to everything in the HD world, so can you tell me what would be wrong with that?

The Sear's salesman that was talking to my dad and I about the warranty just said that if anything goes wrong, they'll fix it or replace it. Nothing about the plasma stuff.

·
Registered
404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpc /forum/post/15486742

Our family recently just purchased this same TV, with that same 300 dollar warranty. I'm still new to everything in the HD world, so can you tell me what would be wrong with that?

The Sear's salesman that was talking to my dad and I about the warranty just said that if anything goes wrong, they'll fix it or replace it. Nothing about the plasma stuff.

That's a lot of money for what amounts to a 2 year extended warranty on a $1000 TV. There are forum sponsors that offer much better deals. Because of the boneheaded salesman and his comments at my local Sears store, he lost a sale.

·
Registered
449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by creemail /forum/post/15436498

That is a pretty good price. I tried to look at their terms and conditions, but they use Service Net Solutions as their warranty provider. They seem to be pretty good. I believe SharpRule gave you a much better alternative.

Chris

Seriously, $159 for 5 years? I wonder what these guys are going to do for $159? If repair was that cheap, why bother getting a warranty to begin with? I'm sure it's A-Class service

And these guys recently hung Tweeter out to dry.

http://blogs.courant.com/george_gomb...rviced-by.html

Tweeter used to have their own service department but they couldn't afford it after bankruptcy so they got in bed with these guys. Crutchfield is the Tweeter of the internet. Tweeter couldn't stay in business for the high prices. If Crutchfield are using servicenet, they obviously can't afford top level service.

IF you are going to get a warranty, I would find a store that has their own service center. The likely hood of a major store going belly up, versus a small warranty company, well the odds are in the favor of the major store. Plus, you can always drive a few miles and grab hold of a real person, where with these online guys, you can't.

·
Registered
782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesickstan /forum/post/15486675

LOL that is some pretty impressive service. I just get the wife to clean the plasma tubes & saved some money.

·
Registered
449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesickstan /forum/post/15486780

That's a lot of money for what amounts to a 2 year extended warranty on a $1000 TV. There are forum sponsors that offer much better deals. Because of the boneheaded salesman and his comments at my local Sears store, he lost a sale.

Though a lot of people swear by Sears' repair. They were one of the original players in Appliance repair if I am not mistaken. The thing about these online warranties that people are using, I question the price. At $159, these companies are in the whole after 1 repair. And I still predict that we are about to see a massive amount of repairs with how cheap these TVs have gotten and these online companies are counting on not having to do a repair.

And you have to pay for that warranty right off the bat, where with your Best Buy, HH Gregg, Sears, etc you can get a sweet financing plan if you have one of their cards.

·
Registered
673 Posts
if I invest $899 into a quality TV such as this, I'm rolling the dice over buying an expensive warranty. If it goes bad, ebay it and get a couple hundred bucks and buy something new, net cost is what: $700 then plus the use you get under factory warranty plus whatever use you get beyond that in event it blows at some point? I say its worth the risk.

I'm more likely to buy a warranty if its cheap, $100 or less, OR I'm buying a high dollar unit. Whats an extra $300 bucks then?

·
Registered
673 Posts
the Sears deal is probably factoring in talking X number of people into buying expensive warranties they'll never use. If the salesman tries hard to sell it, you know thats the case. Those guys make alot of money selling warranties, kinda a bait and switch deal in a way.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
The problem is that new displays come out year after year. For a B&M store or any store to sell above 200-500% over cost that gives the impression that EW companies do not deliver. That is why EW's get the rash of the beating. In most cases, EW's are valuable for high cost electronics and appliances because they are used more often. For small electronics, cameras and handhelds is another story. That is where you here more about the negative comments on EW companies.

Chris

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.