AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of capitulation, I'm finally ready to take the plunge and buy the Fujitsu P50. My last remaining question is whether or not to buy the extended warranty.

Philosophically, I'm normally against these warranties as they are mostly a profit gold mine for the store/insurer. I also believe that the most cost effective form of insurance is self-insurance, when you can afford it. But with the high cost and delicate nature of plasma technology I'm seriously considering if it would be a prudent purchase.

What's the general consensus of the board regarding the durability of the technology and the need for protection?

bwb

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
As I understand it, if you buy from one of their "authorized" dealers, Fujitsu has about the best warranty in the business: three years in-home service (and you are paying plenty for it!). AmEx and several bank credit cards offer an additional 1 year's coverage at no charge. This would make a total of four years' coverage, and IMHO buying an extended warranty beyond this would be pretty much a waste of money.

If you are not buying from an "authorized" dealer, then the situation becomes murky, as most extended warranties build upon the mfr's basic warranty, and Fujitsu refuses to honor their warranty if you buy from an "unauthorized" (i.e., online) dealer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bwb
Philosophically, I'm normally against these warranties as they are mostly a profit gold mine for the store/insurer. I also believe that the most cost effective form of insurance is self-insurance, when you can afford it. But with the high cost and delicate nature of plasma technology I'm seriously considering if it would be a prudent purchase.
It's sort of like "if you want it to stop snowing, go buy a snow blower" (something I plan on doing, incidentially). You want a perfectly funtioning plasma? Buy an extended warranty and, voila!, no problems.

Seriously, though, I've always felt that, as a rule of thumb, the higher the ticket price, the more justification there is for an extended warranty. With my new 503CMX I purchased an extended 4-year warranty. Was is justified? Who knows? I feel better, though, knowing that it's there and that potential problems are covered.

Guess you have to make your own cost/benefit analysis and determine whether or not you can financially afford repairs on your own.

·
Registered
109 Posts
So that begs the question:

If warranty is expired and something goes wrong, what is the cost of the most common repairs?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by steuert
As I understand it, if you buy from one of their "authorized" dealers, Fujitsu has about the best warranty in the business: three years in-home service (and you are paying plenty for it!).
Don't forget that the 3 years is only on the electronics -- the plasma panel is covered for only 1 year.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I went through the same thought process a month ago, posted a thread like this. I decided that since I purchased on my AMEX gold with an extra year I did not get the extended warranty. So I have 4 years on the electronics and 2 years on the display. Warranties are priced for a 5 year period, but 80% of that period is already covered on the electronics and 40% on the display. Also, in 4 to 5 years 50" plasmas will be better and cost much less. If you have a minor problem after warranty, fix it. A major problem replace it. Put the cost of the warranty in a the best bank 5 year CD you can find, if you need to repair, withdraw it early for the small penalty.

-Dan

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everybody for your input.

I will be buying the P50 from an authorized dealer so I'm good to go in that department.

My initial impression is that the credit card angle may be the best bet for me. For $0 I can double the glass warranty and get a 25% extension on the electronics. More money for a new component cabinet and arm chair that will be need when I get rid of my mammoth (HDTV) RPTV.

Thanks again for the advice.

BWB

Edit: Make that a 33% extension on the electronics.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Does the Fujitsu warranty, or any extended warranties, cover lasting burn-in damage in the event that occurs?

Dsmith

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.