AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a good ideal to get the extended warranty on these HDTVs. I am purchasing a Mitsubishi WT-46807 and wondering if the extended warranty will be worth the extra cost? For those of you who has the Mitsubishi set top box "HD5" is it a good value or do you think there is a better STB.

Thanks for all of you help.

------------------

Bruce.in.Cary

·
Registered
681 Posts
Only you can answer that question. It depends - on your risk aversion, and your utility of money function. Mine aren't the same as yours. Can you afford to pay for an expensive, out-of-warranty repair?

It's just like buying insurance.

Remember, they didn't offer the extended warranty to you because they lose money selling them. Even so, if you were very risk averse, and could not afford to repair the TV, then an extended warranty might make sense for you.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
One thing worth considering about extended warranties on large HDTVs is that if you buy locally from a brick-and-mortar, they are much more likely to offer extraordinary after-sale service if you buy their extended warranty. My experience with Best Buys is illustrative.

I bought the RCA 52 inch RPTV (and got a great package deal, including the DTC-100, dish, and "white glove" installation) for what was last spring a very good price. After three months, and two RCA's, I was still dissatisfied with the RCA. They allowed me to purchase a Sony 53HS10 for the difference between the RCA and the Sony, about 200.00. I got to keep the DTC-100, dish, etc. So I was very fortunate. The store manager said the reason they did this is because I bought the extended warranty.

So, aside from the fact these behemoths are no fun to move around, sustain damage in transit, etc., I just think you're buying a lot of leverage with the dealer when you chip in a couple of hundred extra for their extended warranty. My two cents.

John in VA

·
Registered
830 Posts
Personally, I've always passed on extended warranties, but if I was to purchase one, I'd be sure to ask about who would be performing the service. If my set ever needs repair, I'd like to be able to select a shop with experienced technicians who are factory trained on the proper service and alignment procedures for my TV, not a shop that uses correspondence school graduates who were flipping burgers 6 months ago.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Bruce,

I bought a 65" mits, they offered me a 5 years extended for $300, so I went for it.

I though $300 was a good price for 4 years of insurance for such a large and expensive TV, for me it depends on the price.

I like the idea of other members to shop around.

Carlos

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
CAUTION: MANY EXTENDED WARRENTIES USE NON FACTORY AUTHORIZED SERVICE CENTERS.

I know from personal experience that Circuit City and Ken Crains (Los Angeles) do this. Here's how it works. Factory authorization comes at a price. You must buy all their specified test equipment, custom jigs, tools, and send your staff to their training schools at your expense. So the cost is higher just like taking your car to the dealer versus "Joe's Auto Repair". So because the warrenties are a cash cow for the store and it's true modern electronics is very reliable, the stores simply use one commen service center and if a problem developes within the manufactures warrenty period, they simply fix it with their non-authorized shop and eat the cost. They is still plenty of money in the deal for them to keep.

This however in no way infers that the non-authorized shops are inferior to the factory authorized shops. In some cases they can even be better. Take a 30 year experienced technician who has seen a lot versus a young factory trained tech who doesn't give a damn and thinks his job is for beer money. But sometimes unless the shop is factory authorized, they can't get service information or excahnge boards. And with the complexity of some products today, HDTV STB's for example, they cannot be fixed at the component level. so board exchange is the only option.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Before buying, find out who would support any warranty claim. It may be limited to your dealer (Mits told me I was out of their service area). I ended up buying a Mits (and extended warranty) at local Sears. Buying elsewhere in state was doable only in that I would have had to return set to them for repair. One retailer said "maybe" but extended warranty would probably cost double.

Bruce

Mits 55807

·
Registered
186 Posts
I used to work in the extended warranty business and think they are a waste of money--most times. Most electronics don't break (except for Sony, cough, cough). If a product does have a defective component, it usually shows up early in it's life under normal use while still under factory warranty. Light use may not reveal a defective component until later, but generally, electronic components do not "wear out" in normal use. (That's why a floor demo model in good physical condition is often your best buy. If it had a defective component, it would have failed on the showroom floor by now.)

However, when I purchased an expensive large screen HDTV last year I decided that the risk of a breakdown in a new technology product over a five-year period was sufficient to justify the extended warranty, particularly when the warranty covered routine maintenance, such as annual visits to clean and adjust the lenses.

I purchased the extended warranty from The Good Guys (where I bought the TV), but used a passive-aggressive technique to lower the price of the warranty. (There is a LOT of profit built in for the store and the salesperson.) When they offered the Good Guys warranty at checkout, I asked how much it was for 5 years and they quoted a price. Then I said I was interested but that I would wait until Mitsubishi sent me their factory extended warranty offer in the mail after I sent in my product registration. Instantly the salesman dropped the price of the Good Guys warranty by 1/3!

Other retailers, such as Best Buy, have a set price for warranties. So for price comparisons before you purchase your TV, you might want to call the manufacturer and ask how much their extended warranty will cost on the TV and what are the terms of coverage. Does it cover just product failure, or does it include routine maintenance? Then you'll have information for bargaining on the showroom floor.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Embry:
Is it a good ideal to get the extended warranty on these HDTVs. I am purchasing a Mitsubishi WT-46807 and wondering if the extended warranty will be worth the extra cost? For those of you who has the Mitsubishi set top box "HD5" is it a good value or do you think there is a better STB.

Thanks for all of you help.

I'm *very glad* I got mine. I have a Mits Wt-46805, and about 2 weeks *after* the included warranty ended, the TV died.. Thank goodness for the extended warranty. Also, about a week ago I got an offer from Mitsubishi for an extended warranty (the old "your warranty has expired, so we'd like to offer you a 3 year extended warranty). Not a bad deal, about $150, but I just got it when I bought the TV.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for your replies.

I purchase my Mitsubishi set last night. I was told at that time that I has 90 day to take the extended warranty. But it sounds like Mitsubishi offers the better deal on the extended warranties.

I now have the complete system hook up except for the Mitsubishi SR-HD500 STB. I've order the set top box through my employer Mitsubishi. I decided to buy my WT-46807 through a local dealer. I could have gotten a better price through employer, but was more concern with getting quality service incase of a problem.

My system now consists of the WT-46807, Phillips DVD player, Yamaha RX-V595 Receiver, Bose center channel VCS-10 and Model 141 speakers, AR Powered Subwoofer, Mitsubishi S-VHS VCR. The system is working great. Watching Movies playing through the DVD player is awesome. I can't wait to see what true HD will actually look like.

So do you guys think that Mitsubishi extended warrenty is better then getting it through a dealer.

Thanks for all of your help.

------------------

Bruce.in.Cary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.