AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my house a couple months ago and the location that they have the wires coming out of the wall is not where I want to have my rack, its about 7 feet from it.

Is there a way you are supposed to do this? Do I need to run new cables if possible? (some I could, some I can't, at least not very easily). Or can I just get some more speaker wire and use wire nuts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Are we talking speaker wires, audio wires, HDMI or some combination of all of the above?

For speakers, the wire nuts will work. A cleaner solution would be to place a box where the wires come out and terminate there with banana sockets. Then you can run speaker wire with dual babana plugs to the outlet. Looks clean and it is easy to service.

Video, especially HDMI, and line level audio require that you use the appropriate connector. These wires should already have the correct plug, either RCA or HDMI. You can purchase connectors that are two females back to back. These are used as extenders and you simply plug in another cable of the same type.

Need more detail to advise further.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Speaker wires and HDMI.

I like the idea of getting the wall plates from monoprice and just running wires from there, I'll just have to see if where they currently come out fits in with my riser design, etc. I guess I can always have some type of trap door in the riser that I lift up to get at the cables...

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
I like Wago lever nuts in lieu of wire nuts. I think they're more reliable, and idiot proof.

Barrier blocks (available from HD/Lowes) are also a good option for patching speaker cables.

Extendind HDMI may be tricky if long runs already.

If you can, keep the wire connections accessible, as they could fail eventually.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts