AVS Forum banner

161 - 167 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have a different issue in that it’s not length but room and wall geography. I’d like to be able to have an IR blaster on an opposite wall without running a wire and cutting. Would a second harmony hub paired to the elite accomplish this and act as an IR repeater? Would it take a device slot?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I haven't tried it yet myself, and it's stereo rather than mono, but several Amazon reviews indicate this 2.5 mm extender cable works for Harmony IR blasters. Available in 3, 6, 10, and 15 feet for under $10 -> https://www.amazon.com/TNP-2-5mm-Extension-Cable-Feet/dp/B0742MNGDX/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Update to my prior post. Since originally posting, I have now used the above cable to extend a Harmony IR blaster and it's working great (and has been for at least a month or two).

·
Registered
538 Posts
Using CAT5 extender to send Harmony Hub IR signal to new location Blaster can't Reach

Title sort of says it all. Bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Extender-Over-CAT5-CAT6/dp/B07WMVMHDV/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Had only CAT6 already in the wall -- no 3.5mm audio. So, bought this device pair, put the send unit with its connected small IR receiver facing the hub in cabinet (with harmony hub). Receive unit is on other end of CAT6 in theater room where I want it, with the unit's own IR emitter (not harmony's) connected. I'm not getting any signal from the emitter.

Anyone done this before and have any tips? I didn't connect any HDMI at all as I'm not using it, and the units are both powered at the wall. I only needed this extender to shoot the IR at another angle that I could not reach with basic blasters via hub due to where IT lives.

·
Registered
538 Posts
For anyone interested in extending the IR blasters, this item from Amazon works to extend over Cat5e/6:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IXZRXAS/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tried extending over 50ft with a 3.5mm mono cable like the OP and the signal was too weak to be worthwhile.

Hope this helps someone out.
Wouldn’t you also need a 3.5 female to 2.5 female coupler on the blaster end since it looks like the lineso only has a 3.5mm male out? I can’t seem to find such a thing. Without it, how would I connect the blaster to the lineso...

·
Registered
538 Posts
Okay, think I found all the hardware I need. Still no love with the Harmony hub sending out IR signal over this CAT6 line from RX to TX so I must be doing something wrong. Help? I've tried flipping the box locations just to make sure but I think in this case I want to do the reverse, I actually want the IR to travel into the room and not into the closet so the boxes are in reverse spots (no HDMI in use).

This product:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F8X29SD

Mono 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor in Harmony hub blaster port 1
Mono 3.5mm cable from Harmony hub blaster port 1 to RX box IR IN port
CAT 6 cable from RX box ethernet port to TX box ethernet port
Mono 3.5mm to 2.5mm adaptor in TX box IR OUT port
Genuine Harmony Blaster plugged into TX IR OUT port

No signal is being thrown, confirmed Harmony Elite set to Blaster port 1 for devices and that hub is seeing input.

I must be doing something wrong here...Help? The only one area I am a little shaky on is if the cable going from the harmony hub to the RX box is mono or stereo. If there is a stereo 3.5mm cable anywhere in the mix does that break the blaster signal?

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
This thread has turned into a nice little all-around FAQ.

I have a Cat6 run about 100'. I need two of its twisted pairs for a 100BaseT network connection to a SmartTV.
Can I just use one twisted pair for my IR Sensor extension to this SmartTV or should I use two pairs?
It would be nice to leave one twisted pair alone, for some sort of future expansion of whatever.

Also, has anyone found IR Sensors with exposed pigtails or are we all being forced to strip the connectors off to splice onto our twisted pairs?

·
Registered
15,082 Posts
Are you talking about using both wires in the pair as a single conductor? The resistance is negligible (2 Ohms for 100' of 23 AWG), so that's not necessary.

161 - 167 of 167 Posts