AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting a new 3D set and my 3 current 10' HDMI (high speed) cables run through the wall. Aside from re-running them (something I REALLY do not want to do) would adding a 3' M->F HDMI extension cable cause any problems? It's only a total of 13 feet so it's relatively short to begin with.

The current cables are Monoprice "cheap" 28ga high-speed 10 footers and I would need to add Monoprice 3' high-speed HDMI extender cables like these: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Am I going to have problems here?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
You still have a reasonably short run, so I doubt you will have any problems.

·
Banned
3,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd /forum/post/19639668

Just getting a new 3D set and my 3 current 10' HDMI (high speed) cables run through the wall. Aside from re-running them (something I REALLY do not want to do) would adding a 3' M->F HDMI extension cable cause any problems? It's only a total of 13 feet so it's relatively short to begin with.

The current cables are Monoprice "cheap" 28ga high-speed 10 footers and I would need to add Monoprice 3' high-speed HDMI extender cables like these: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Am I going to have problems here?

I agree - I don't foresee any problems. You used high-speed to begin with, so you should be set.

·
Registered
25 Posts
would the views change if we were starting with a 15m cable? I currently have a 15m cable run from my AV closet to my main tv, and I really could use with another 3 or 6 feet, since when i pull out my rack from the closet i have to unplug the main hdmi cable. Will I see any signal loss with using an extension cable? I'd probably pop for a higher quality one if it would make a difference. Assuming you guys say this is ok, does it matter if I put the extension cable at the receiver or tv end? I could always just rerun a slightly longer cable, but wondering if that is really necessary or not. Thanks in advance!

Matt

·
Banned
3,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehorizons /forum/post/20150175

would the views change if we were starting with a 15m cable? I currently have a 15m cable run from my AV closet to my main tv, and I really could use with another 3 or 6 feet, since when i pull out my rack from the closet i have to unplug the main hdmi cable. Will I see any signal loss with using an extension cable? I'd probably pop for a higher quality one if it would make a difference. Assuming you guys say this is ok, does it matter if I put the extension cable at the receiver or tv end? I could always just rerun a slightly longer cable, but wondering if that is really necessary or not. Thanks in advance!

Matt

Let's see 15m ~= 45 feet which is outside of what high speed is normally certified to handle. However, the best way to find out is to try it. 3 or 6 foot high speed cables are very cheap. Remember wall plates also can add a complication although the only ones I've heard causing a problem came from Home Depot or Lowes.

But overall the best advice I can give you is to try it. If it doesn't work, then append again and we may be able to find some workarounds. If it doesn't work, you'll know it (sparkles, lines, no picture, etc)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts