AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building an AT screen that will cover a recess in my family room/home theater. That recess contains one of the heat vents for the room. I'm thinking I want to somehow extend that vent and add a vent under my screen; painted black, of course.

Has anybody had experience with doing something like this? I'm talking an extension of about 2 feet. Or should I do nothing and just let it heat the back of the screen space and let it filter into the room?

·
Registered
238 Posts
It's fairly straightforward assuming you have some kind of a frame/stage to run the vent to and connect the vent cover to. I think you'd be better off extending it if you want to keep the same consistent level of heating and cooling in the room, AND if you intend your HT to be "permanent." You can sometimes find what you need at the big box stores, but an HVAC supply store may be easier. It's really just a matter of sizing an extension run, connecting it with sheet metal screws to the existing, sealing it with HVAC foil tape (or if you prefer messy, mastic. Just don't use normal "duct tape" or "duck tape").

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.