AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to add 2 more rear surrounds for a 7.1 setup. For this I am moving my current surrounds towards the middle and since I already have my speaker wire routed under the baseboards I was thinking of just adding a piece to extend for the rear surrounds new position about 5 or 6 more feet as I am wall mounting them.

What is the best way to add the distance? I was thinking of soldering the two ends of wire and shrink wrapping.

Is this the best way?

Any input would be great, Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
You can only solder with solid gold or siver. Then you must use liquid nirtrogen to get the cables to absoulute zero. Only then will the flux capacity of the two different types of wire be equal.

Reactions: shekiwi

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgiust /forum/post/19602230

You can only solder with solid gold or siver. Then you must use liquid nirtrogen to get the cables to absoulute zero. Only then will the flux capacity of the two different types of wire be equal.

WOW,

Thanks I never would have thought about that. I solder quite frequently but all I ever use is lead.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Just use a good silver solder for electronics. Thats what's used on you Xovers, connectors and everything else in your equipment unless they used something cheaper...which I hope not. Get some heat shrink to slide over the connections to really finish it off, of course electrical tape can be used too.

Butt connectors as mentioned are fine two, although not as good as soldering but it's still a good connection as long as your connection is crimped properly.

In other words keep it simple and hook'em up!

·
Registered
3,576 Posts

Quote:

I'm pretty sure this guy is pulling your leg....either that or he's waiting for the mother ship to come and take him home.

·
Registered
463 Posts
If I've had to extend speaker cable I've just twisted the ends together and then put electrical tape on it and have noticed no ill effect - but then I'm not much of a believer in cables making an audible difference in general... if you do believe in that, your mileage will most likely wary

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 /forum/post/19602733

I'm pretty sure this guy is pulling your leg....either that or he's waiting for the mother ship to come and take him home.

I've often wondered what kind of "speaker technology" they use in those space shows, in Star Trek for example

·
Registered
4,577 Posts

Quote:

Only then will the flux capacity of the two different types of wire be equal.

Flux capacity, of course you must have an authentic flux capacitor, and you must have written permission from Doc Emmit Brown himself. But remember, anytime you start fooling around with flux capacitors, your in danger of unraveling the very fabric of the time continuum and either coming from or going back to the future............."I'm sorry boys, it's just too dammed loud".

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
quick google and youtube search:

Stripping both ends on the wires you are going to connect by 5/16", placing one wire in butt connector and using the wire strippers, it has a little concave half circle with a smaller nipple usually above the dirrerent wire gauge stripping section that squeezes the butt connector onto the wire. You could also use a pair of pliers, but doesn't do a great job. Give it a good squeeze and a tug on the wire to make sure it is holding. Do the same with second spliced wire into other end of connector. Good luck.

How to video with cool music!!! Skip the heat gun part if you are using a standard butt connector from HD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdBcP...eature=related

1 - 16 of 16 Posts