AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, if I have a pair of speakers attached the main front L/R inputs on the receiver, and that decodes stereo sound, what do I do if I want to add an extra pair of speakers? I'd like to do this without a speaker selector. And I was wondering, if I wire the extra pair of speakers to the rear L/R inputs on the receiver, what's the best audio codec to use to make sure equal volume is achieved in both speaker pairs? Neo 6?

Any help would be awesome.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Hey guys, if I have a pair of speakers attached the main front L/R inputs on the receiver, and that decodes stereo sound, what do I do if I want to add an extra pair of speakers? I'd like to do this without a speaker selector. And I was wondering, if I wire the extra pair of speakers to the rear L/R inputs on the receiver, what's the best audio codec to use to make sure equal volume is achieved in both speaker pairs? Neo 6?

Any help would be awesome.
What receiver are you using? Some have a B set or a zone to use. Probably all-ch stereo setting would be best if you use another L/R set of speakers (other than mains), but levels may not be same if different speaker sensitivity.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
" So once everything is wired the receiver will be running 3 pairs of speakers"

Not a good idea. Wire up a pair to main and second zone but don't wire up two pairs of speakers to the L/R outputs.

Yamaha aren't exactly well known for driving low impedance speakers. I have a Yamaha 671 as well. Also if you are running four speakers in stereo, it'll sound bad.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, everything will be wired in multi-room, 3 rooms total including the ones powered by the second zone. Without wiring 2 sets of speakers in the main front L/R, I was going to wire just one pair (stereo) to them as it is wired now, and the second set will be wired to the terminals for the rear speakers. I was thinking if I wired it this way, and set the decoder to Dolby Prologic II, then I may achieve equal sound quality and volume from all pairs of speakers. This way I'm not twisting wires and forcing them into one terminal.

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
^^^

It will work if you put the AVR in "Party Mode" aka All Channel Stereo, etc.

This mode sends the identical, full-range signal to all speakers (L/C/R/Sur). However, not sure if the second zone can still be active in that surround mode. :confused:

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
If you connect to the surround or rear surround L/R terminals and use PLII or Neo6 as you've mentioned you won't get full L/R content in other than the mains, which is why I suggested the all-ch stereo mode so that you get full content in each speaker set (not sure about zone use in that mode, tho). If you're just using a pair of speakers in each of several rooms that avr isn't the best tool, not particularly due to the amps (depending on your speakers and how loud you plan to play of course) but rather you're not using it in a main room with a multi-ch setup with a sub which is what the unit is primarily intended for.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome guys, thank y'all so much for the replies. While I haven't found a 'party mode' in the Yamaha receiver, it does look like it offers "7 Channel Stereo". I'm guessing that's the same concept.

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
^^^

Yup, that would be it. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts