AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just checked my projector info. and I now have 68% lamp life left in the LT150.

Then a sudden realization hit me...

Some projectors have a "econo-mode" where the brightness is reduced to increase lamp life. If that's how they work, then would it not stand to reason that by turning down brightness on my LT150 does likewise?

This would ordinarily not be as relevant as I don't believe the LT150 engineers quoted bulb-life based on a High-Power screen and using the projector on "reduced" brightness regularly. But if day-in-day-out the viewing is at reduced levels the bulb-life should be extended.

Can someone confirm this? If I can squeeze another 250 hours from the LT150 bulb that is still a 25% increase in bulb-life expectancy. According to the LT150 documentation you can "RESET" the lamp hours...so that would also come in handy in this situation...provided you're able to remember to check it regularly after it was reset and not replaced. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

- Balance Between

- Quality & Price!

------------------

Editor of the AVS Skyworth FAQ and Official Panasonic RP91 Firmware Upgrade Request from OWNERS pages.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
This has been discussed in the past. It would seem logical

(and I think most believe this to be the case) that in a projector which has no selectable lamp output option that the lamp runs at full on all the time. So brightness adjustment does not lower the lamp voltage (or it's intensity). I do recall reading at least one thread, however, in which some were challenging that. Have no idea if they knew what they were talking about.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
707 Posts
Turning down the brightness will not have the same effect as the econo-mode as it does not reduce the voltage to the lamp. Reduced lamp voltage yields extended lamp time at the expense of brightness and reduced definition in the Black output of the display.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks RW and ghibliss...

How does the LT150 reduce the brightness of the picture...anyone? Strictly by adjusting the gamma table??

According to the manual it seems to indicate that you can still operate the LT150 after 1000 hours...to 1100 perhaps before it refuses to operate without replacement bulb/reset of lamp hour info.

I must have missed the thread...did a search before posting this and I couldn't find any references by topic. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------

- Balance Between

- Quality & Price!

------------------

Editor of the AVS Skyworth FAQ and Official Panasonic RP91 Firmware Upgrade Request from OWNERS pages.

[This message has been edited by Yahoo (edited 09-04-2001).]

·
Registered
29 Posts
I know many people find fan noise intrusive, but there's plenty of noise at the cinema so it doesn't bother me too much. But was does bother me is the loss of image definition caused by grime being sucked into the projector through very flimsy filters. I use a modest philips hopper sv 10. I fasioned abase with its own filter fan arrangement which then feeds filtered air to the philips input fan/filter. Since doing this over year ago I have never had to clean the philips filter. This means I don't have to dismantle the projector nearly so often to remove atmospheric grime let alone dust. On the main topic of extended lamp life, surely assisting or increasing the air flow across the lamp must help it run cooler, thus extending the lamp life. Any comments

------------------

Lawrence

·
Registered
855 Posts
When you use the "brightness" commands in the menu of the LT150, the electronics in the projector change the magnitude of the input value for that particular color. That is if you set red brightness to -5, any red value coming into the projector is reduced by 5. If you set the overall brightness to +5, all inputs are increased by 5. This has NOTHING to do with lamp voltages nor lamp life.

------------------

Huck

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It would seem "logical" that the "brightness" control affects brightness of the light bulb therefore the brightness of the screen...but what do I know! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

HTJunkie, the lamp life info is under the HELP/INFORMATION menu option in one of the tabs. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

- Balance Between

- Quality & Price!

------------------

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Think of it this way, Yahoo, and it will be easier to understand. Let's say you have an electric lamp. You can only turn the lamp on or off. But the lamp is sitting behind a window which has adjustable blinds. By adjusting the blinds you can vary the amount of light which comes through the window. That's how a lamp driven projector works.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.