AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

If I am using DD 5/8" and allowing 1" for acoustical how do you extend the electrical box (4 " round) 2 1/4" from stud to be flush when completed.

Is it ok to take the metal brace of the plastic ones and use the 2 holes to mount to a 2x4 cross brace (block) between studs.

it seems that the it would be tough to run romex.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just a thought...are you using some kind of isolation boxes for this? It seems like a fairly large hole to punch in the wall after going to all the trouble of double 5/8" drywall. To answer your question though, yes, you can use 2X4 blocks as spacers to bring a box out further. It's not difficult to run anything to it as long as you put the proper holes in the 2X4 as needed! If your box is for a wall sconce, have you considered bumping out the wall with a column AFTER the DD is complete?

·
RETIRED theater builder
37,113 Posts
For my sconces I mounted, old work boxes in a furring frame, then screwed and glued the assembly over an appropriate hole in the drywall, Romex was left hanging in place before drywall and simply inserted into the box.

You could apply putty pads or other goop to the back of the assembly to further soundproof.

The hanging wires passed city inspection, Sorry no pictures.

For what it is worth I used a single gang box, and they are much more stable then the dial a depth boxes I mounted to studs. Fabric was later stapled to the furring frame.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.