AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have just started reading into external amps for HT so bare with me. i was considering adding an amp to my current HT set-up in my 19x10.5x9 room.

i currently run: paradigm cc-290 (C) Sensitivity - Room / Anechoic 94 dB / 91 dB; Suitable Amplifier Power Range 15 - 175 watts Maximum Input Power 120 watts

paradigm mini-monitors (L/R) Sensitivity - Room / Anechoic 92 dB / 89 dB suitablle Amplifier Power Range 15 - 100 watts Maximum Input Power 80 watts;

paradigm adp-190 Sensitivity - Room / Anechoic 90 dB / 87 dB Suitable Amplifier Power Range 15 - 100 watts Maximum Input Power 80 watts; AVR Onkyo 605 90w/ch

is there a limit in speaker size before external amps can be added? i understand i would be required to update my receiver to one with pre-outs, but wasn't sure if there was any benefit to adding an external amp to my, or any system, for that matter if the main speakers aren't big enough.

i apologize for the "noob" question
, but i know somebody out there can help

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I have no idea what you are asking, sorry. External amplifiers can be used with any size of speaker. What would size have to do with it?

Power handling is of some interest. Most articles I have read suggest that an amplifier two times the power rating of your speakers should be ok. So I would think a 200 watt / channel amplifier would not cause you too many problems. Some prudence is always suggested of course.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry for the confusion. i was asking if speaker size matters if a person wants to add an amp. i have smaller main speakers and was worried that due to their size, an amp would be too much for them or damage them. but, as you stated, amps can be utilized for any speaker.

does it matter if some speakers recommend 100 watt vs 175 watt max input? also, is it possible to amp only a few speakers and leave others to the receiver? say i amped the front 3 and left the surrounds to the receiver? or is it best to amp them all with same amp, separate amps but same mfg, or other combinations? sorry for the numerous questions, i guess i need to do some more reading into this subject.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkmgr /forum/post/15572143

sorry for the confusion. i was asking if speaker size matters if a person wants to add an amp. i have smaller main speakers and was worried that due to their size, an amp would be too much for them or damage them. but, as you stated, amps can be utilized for any speaker.

It's highly unlikely that you will damage speakers, by having "too powerful" an amp. You'd need to be cranking them up to intolerable levels in most cases. At typical listening levels, most of the time, you are only using a small fraction of an amps power.

Quote:

does it matter if some speakers recommend 100 watt vs 175 watt max input?

Not really. It's fairly meaningless.

Quote:

also, is it possible to amp only a few speakers and leave others to the receiver?

Sure it's even recommended in a lot of cases, since surrounds don't typically require lots of power. Only your main speakers, sub and possibly the center channel are going to really benefit from lots of power.

Quote:

say i amped the front 3 and left the surrounds to the receiver? or is it best to amp them all with same amp, separate amps but same mfg, or other combinations? sorry for the numerous questions, i guess i need to do some more reading into this subject.

At lot of it comes down to how much you believe in magic, which is what a lot of people push in high end audio. They'll claim X, Y or Z completely changes things, even though there isn't really any good reason why it should.

Depending on your speakers, it can be worth while investing in a good amp for the front and possibly center channel (subs usually have their own amps). But you should definitely consider if you should upgrade your speakers first.

It doesn't matter what your amp is, if your speakers aren't good enough to benefit from it.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPnBobcats /forum/post/15572278

Depending on your speakers, it can be worth while investing in a good amp

Hello,

I've been following this thread and was curious about this statement above.

I'm in the same boat and have been looking at some various upgrades on terms of amp/receivers. My setup consists of

VF-35s
VF-25s
Sub 10

Onkyo 605.

Samsung 50" 1080P DLP

Panasonic BD-30.

My questions are -

1) Are my speakers good tnough to make use out of an external amp? They are 100W continous, 300W peak.

2) Given that I decide to stick with Onkyo and upgrade to something mid-level and I don't care alot of upscaling capabilities should I focus on something that gives me the pre-amps that I need and forget about the extra features/amprage that comes with the receiver?

3) I've really found the Emotivas to be fairly attractive. (Price and Performance). Would throwing a XPA-3 onto the fronts and having an Onkyo support the back be a optimal configuration? Just not sure what would be the best Onkyo to look at. I know there are lip sync issues with some of the other models. Definitely want to avoid that! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiger /forum/post/15573617

Hello,

I've been following this thread and was curious about this statement above.

I'm in the same boat and have been looking at some various upgrades on terms of amp/receivers. My setup consists of

VF-35s
VF-25s
Sub 10

Onkyo 605.

Samsung 50" 1080P DLP

Panasonic BD-30.

My questions are -

Given that I upgrade from my 605,

Are my speakers good tnough to make use out of an external amp? They are 100W continous, 300W peak.

1) Given that I decide to stick with Onkyo and I don't care alot of upscaling capabilities should I focus on just a mid-level receiver that gives me the pre-amps that I need and forget about the extra amprage that comes with the receiver?

2) I've really found the Emotivas to be fairly attractive. (Price and Performance). Would throwing a XPA-3 onto the fronts and having an Onkyo support the back be a optimal configuration? Just not sure what would be the best Onkyo to look at. I know there are lip sync issues with some of the other models. Definitely want to avoid that! Thanks!

I don't know specifically how good your speakers are, but Klipsch speakers are usually considered pretty decent, so if there's isn't any specific reason why you are unhappy with them. I wouldn't get an amp.

They are highly efficient (96db) and 8 ohm. Which cuts out most of the advantage an external amp will give you. Likewise getting a new AVR that has 130 wpc vs 100 wpc or something like that, isn't going to make much of a difference.

Highly efficient speakers don't need gobs of power and easy to drive speakers like yours work just fine off of AVR amps. So I'm not seeing a pressing need for an amp.

If you watch a lot of movies/games, I might look at getting a more powerful subwoofer. SVS makes some good ones. But you are probably looking at $800+ to get a significantly better Subwoofer.

Is there something in particular that you are not happy with about your current set up? Or are you just wondering if an amp is going to magically make things vastly better. Odds are an amp isn't going to dramatically change things with the speakers you have.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPnBobcats /forum/post/15573722

If you watch a lot of movies/games, I might look at getting a more powerful subwoofer. SVS makes some good ones. But you are probably looking at $800+ to get a significantly better Subwoofer.

Is there something in particular that you are not happy with about your current set up? Or are you just wondering if an amp is going to magically make things vastly better. Odds are an amp isn't going to dramatically change things with the speakers you have.

Thanks for the advice!

I would say that 90% of my time is spent on Movies and Games at this point. 10% music. Definitely happy with the system I have. It's mostly just that I've heard systems that do have external amps and I just figured it would give me that additional "umpff" and richer sound. Perhaps not. I Also, for some reason I don't have my Sub configured correctly, but since upgrading to large speakers I don't get that powerful "tight" bass sometimes that I would expect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts