AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Problem: Been spending quarantine time with the family enjoying some big-budget (MCU) blockbusters that the kids were to young for when they were originally released. My new Ascend speakers sound great with the volume way up, so much so that I keep tweaking it just a little louder and louder and then... *click*. My Denon shuts itself off, typically once every movie (safety/limitor; over-driving it?), until I learn my lesson and back off a little.

So I bought a new external amp. I went with a 5-channel one to give myself the either-or flexability to try it both ways and see. But before I unhook everything, rewire and reconfigure, I'm wondering if others who have done this before and have some experience have an opinion on which I ought to try first/which "should in theory" be the better configuration: am I better off putting only my front left-right towers on the new Marantz, and therefore kind of "splitting the heavy lifting" of the front 3 between both amps and letting them both share the load, or am I better off putting all 3 on the new bigger better amp and letting the Denon just drive the Rears and handle the processing? At least for my first attempt/rewire/setup, does anybody on here have an opinion on which I ought to try first?

Setup:
- Ascend Sierra Tower Front Left-Rights (92 dB typical in-room sensitivity; unclear if that value changes much (at all?) with RAAL ribbon upgrade)
- Ascend Sierra center-oriented 2EX center channgel (86 dB typical in-room sensitivity)
- Ascend HTM-200SE Rear Left-Rights (89 dB typical in-room sensitivity)
- Denon x4400h Receiver rated for 125 wpc, 2-channels-driven, into 8 ohms, with 0.05% THD
- Marantz MM7055 new external amp, rated for 140 wpc, 2-channels driven, into 8 ohms, with 0.08% THD

·
Premium Member
2,474 Posts
Admittedly, I don't run my 7.1.2 setup quite that loud. I do, however, bi-amp and bi-wire (don't judge...) the front 3. My reasoning was that the 6300 could cope with the 4 surrounds and 2 Atmos speakers.

However, having had to pack it all up, deal with the snake pit of wiring and now trying to unpack it all, I am wondering if it's all worth it. So I am going to try without the amp.I am going try running my system without the Emotiva UPA5 amp and see if the 6300 can run it to reasonable levels.

To be honest, if it can't then I think I'm going to upgrade to an 8500 instead.

Seggers

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
@psuKinger the x4400 should drive those beautiful speakers just fine. But if you want more power, like most of us here, get a 3 channel amp since those can always be utilized in a system, even when you upgrade or move.

outlaw, ati, monolith, parasound for class AB d-sonic, cherry, n-core for the class D stuff

@seggers I bet the 6300 handles your speakers just fine. No need to bi-amp and mess with the wires. Sell the emotiva and save for the new 2020 Denon (x6600) maybe that comes out in 2021. I am looking at the x6500 and will probably pull the trigger next month.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,474 Posts
@psuKinger the x4400 should drive those beautiful speakers just fine. But if you want more power, like most of us here, get a 3 channel amp since those can always be utilized in a system, even when you upgrade or move.

outlaw, ati, monolith, parasound for class AB d-sonic, cherry, n-core for the class D stuff

@seggers I bet the 6300 handles your speakers just fine. No need to bi-amp and mess with the wires. Sell the emotiva and save for the new 2020 Denon (x6600) maybe that comes out in 2021. I am looking at the x6500 and will probably pull the trigger next month.

Good luck!
Digging this back up now that I've had a chance to try it out. Yes, the 6300 does - indeed - handle the speakers just fine without the amp. The one thing I do notice is that the volume numbers are higher. So this shows that the amp was helping.

We'll see, long term, how this goes. Although once they are out I may well upgrade to the 8500Ha (with the HDMI 2.1 (ish) board in it).

Seggers

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Digging this back up now that I've had a chance to try it out. Yes, the 6300 does - indeed - handle the speakers just fine without the amp. The one thing I do notice is that the volume numbers are higher. So this shows that the amp was helping.

We'll see, long term, how this goes. Although once they are out I may well upgrade to the 8500Ha (with the HDMI 2.1 (ish) board in it).

Seggers

Good to hear!

Well looks like they bypassed the x4600/x6600 altogether and instead it's an x4700 and x6700. Check the dedicated thread I believe they each now have a single hdmi 2.1 port. The x8500 will have to be sent in for the hdmi 2.1 board, which costs $$ so if you are not a gamer then maybe stick with the x6300 until 2021 and see what happens with the 2.1 implementation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts