1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded my fronts to RTi10's

and wanted to bi-amp or just add an external amp to my HTR6190

to run the fronts only.

This is my first experience in pre out / amp / to speakers.

I want good clean Power for DTS MA sound tracks.

Any suggestions, would be GREATLY appreciated.

under a thousand$ or so If possible, even used ok.

200 wpc or so x 2ch.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
243 Posts
That sounds like a good deal people here seem to love em. I, being a bottom feeder get most of my stuff on craigslist, the paper, estate sales, audiogon, etc. With the economy the way it is there are some killer deals out there, it's unfortunate that some are having to liquidate, it's a buyers market. not sure about your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My neck of the woods seems to have NO products, period.

Money is good in our little town, but I have to search the net for any HT stuff.

I have no experience with pre pro amp/receiver.

A new 6190 HTR connected HDMI 1.3 to my AE3000

I got a pair of RTi10's yesterday for fronts over my Rti8's

They are just a quieter speaker (SPL Meter) But I'd like to feed them clean power, off my Pre..6190 and process the DTS MA Sound with my Yammy and have the puer power from a nice external amp. for the Fronts only.

I may swap them for Rti12's.. just seems like a LOT of midrange dropped comparred to my rti8's?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I use to live in northern alaska and would drive 350 miles to anchorage to audition and buy audio gear, by the way gotta say I love my paradigm speakers, and am looking @ anthem d2 for next upgrade. How far a drive is it to a place where you can listen to some decent gear? sounds like the rti 10's are less efficient than your 8's. Upgrading gear is very subjective. Some will say they didn't even notice any improvement adding an amp, I don't fall into that camp & believe power is your friend. some speakers drop into a hard to drive 2 ohm load @ certain frequenies and this is where big amps shine. Your musical taste, volume, sub yes or no room size, are just some of the factors to consider. One good thing is the emotiva gives you 30 days to decide if you want it, so you can always send it back.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Adding power to highly efficient speakers like Polks is not going to amount in any significant increase in PQ or flattening of the reponse curve.

Time is better spent auditioning other brands of speakers in places other than Future Shop.

·
Registered
183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy McNasty /forum/post/15507541

Adding power to highly efficient speakers like Polks is not going to amount in any significant increase in PQ or flattening of the reponse curve.

Time is better spent auditioning other brands of speakers in places other than Future Shop.

I disagree.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy McNasty /forum/post/15507541

i know , I whole heartedly agree... BUT, I have all Polk in my HT room

and to change out Everything ? I want it all to be the same line up , same brand.

It is for Movies Only NO music.

I'm wanting to get the best out of Polk Rti series.

Rti 8 - 10 - 12 ?

amp??

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to a XPA-3 .......run Rti10's and a Csi5 Let the HTR6190 run the surrounds.

and w/ SVS PB12 Plusx2.

I'll let you know my Impressions.

·
Registered
183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegamble66 /forum/post/15507960

I'm going to a XPA-3 .......run Rti10's and a Csi5 Let the HTR6190 run the surrounds.

and w/ SVS PB12 Plusx2.

I'll let you know my Impressions.

This, I agree with. Please let us know what you think. Also let me know if you still "whole heartedly agree".

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I only agree that I should be shopping in other places than future shop.

I like there no Q asked return policy.

and they always make me feel like they have the best deals.

hence I simply go to Future Shop, for washer dryer, videoLCD TV's, Home Theatre Gear.. and just say sell me the very best you have here.

The net is showing me a whole new world of HT gear though..

Now..

After painfully going back and forth downstairs with my wife switcing 2ch stereo with Bluray movies, between Rti8 and rti10 ... we have decided to return the 10's.

My wife kept saying the 8's sound better ,and 8db louder with SPL meter, not quite as deep but MUCH punchier in the Mid...then asked How much $$ do you have to spend to make the 10's sound as good..I said just another thousand dear.

Then I thought???? i'm just going to keep throwing money at them trying to get back my sound I'm missing..So for free I hooked up my 8's again and said, ah there it is.

Now I'll go buy a VP and some buttkickers or crowsons. with the savings.

Rti10's are missing something with that one mid bass driver removed.

The (2) 6.5" drivers on the 8's are a higher and lower frq. mixed that Over power the 10's By a LONG shot, the 2 7" mini subs(sounding) drivers do add a dimension missing by the 8's.. but for Movies along with my SVS.. 8's are just too Punchy to discard.

So...No Amp for now.

Off to the buttkicker threads.

The ultimate would be to add 1 or 2, 7" woofers/bass drivers to compliment my 8's and bi-wire the amp to both..? build custom enclosures to sit beside the 8's , and a crossover to cut off at 1khz. ??? NO experience here..

·
Registered
183 Posts
stevegamble66, sounds like you got it figured out, and saved a bunch of money too. I'm glad to hear that. It's hard to think rationaly sometimes, but it looks like you did. Good job. Enjoy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts