AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Denon X4400h AVR which can power 9 channels but process 11.

I currently am driving a 5.x.4 setup with the AVR but plan to upgrade speakers in the next month or two and want to move to 7.x.4.

According to the AVR manual...I can power either the front L/R or pair of heights/tops with an external amp.

Currently I have some 20yr old Klipsch towers....most of the time we have to have the master volume at -5 or -6 db during movies.

As of now, I pan to upgrade the front stage (L,C,R) with PSA MT-110s or maybe 210s, and move the Klipsch towers to the rear back wall.

I really do not want to spend much if I can avoid it...since I want to put as much budget into quality speakers.

Obviously driving the mains would require more amp than just a pair of heights/tops.

Appreciate any advice or suggestions.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
If the specs are to be believed, the PSA speakers are sensitive. You may be happy with driving them off the AVR.

For the rear height speakers, you wouldn't need to spend a lot of money on an amp. Even a cheap an cheerful Chinese stereo amp would probably be adequate. https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Audio-Amplifier-Professional-Speakers/dp/B06XZL2PQD/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=fosi+V1.0B&qid=1594141472&s=electronics&sr=1-1 There are higher powered amps available at higher prices.

The main thing you'd miss over one of the more traditional add-on amps (like the Audiosource AMP100VS) is that the cheap amp has no auto on or 12V trigger. Its no-signal power draw is probably low enough that you could just leave it on all the time. Aside from cost, the advantage to an inexpensive amp of this type is that it'd be compact.

In my own system, I have an AVR-X4300H, with an Emotiva XPA3 Gen3 driving the LCR fronts (which are Hsu CCB-8s). The AVR drives the other 8 channels in a 7.2.4 Atmos setup. I'm happy with it, but the XPA3 is $1.2k.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the rear height speakers, you wouldn't need to spend a lot of money on an amp. Even a cheap an cheerful Chinese stereo amp would probably be adequate. https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Audio-Amplifier-Professional-Speakers/dp/B06XZL2PQD/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=fosi+V1.0B&qid=1594141472&s=electronics&sr=1-1 There are higher powered amps available at higher prices.
Thank you...that looks like ideal solution for me...something cheap to power the height pair. I am not even sure I will like 7.0 layer considering my room layout so this is good way to try it out without much investment.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
best bet is a unit with the auto on feature

there are several low cost amps that can drive the height channels - budget leader at the moment is the XMP100 ~ 129 ( 75 wpc)

Daton audio APA102BT 120 ( 60wpc)

audiosource AMP100VS is a solid choice ~149, or the class D version AD1002 ( 179)

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
best bet is a unit with the auto on feature

(snip)
How desirable is that in practice?

I was recently shocked to be told (by Kevin form Hsu) that their subs draw about the same amount of power when turned on but with no signal as they do in standby. (The Hsu subs use BASH amps, which appear to be basically Class H.)

I haven't seen a spec for on/no signal power consumption for the inexensive Class D amps, but it wouldn't suprise me if it was very low.

I post this not to be argumentative, but if someone can be satisfied with a $60 device...

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I was recently shocked to be told (by Kevin form Hsu) that their subs draw about the same amount of power when turned on but with no signal as they do in standby. (The Hsu subs use BASH amps, which appear to be basically Class H.)

I haven't seen a spec for on/no signal power consumption for the inexensive Class D amps, but it wouldn't suprise me if it was very low.

I post this not to be argumentative, but if someone can be satisfied with a $60 device...
Just so happens....I just installed a pair of HSU subs :) I have them on always-on since I have always had issue with the auto-on on previous subs. (i.e if there is a stretch of "silence" in a movie then all the sudden a massive explosion ...i often missed the explosion since there is a delay).

·
Registered
96 Posts
I run the Audiosource AMP100. I got it on ebay for $65 shipped. Its the older version and does not have trigger input but does have autosensing to turn on/off.

The amp works great but the auto on sucks. For atmos there is not always sound going to them so the amp turns off/on throughout movies which is not good. I just manually turn it on when watching atmos enabled movies and no issues. At some point might get a external trigger setup. Also, when setting up with audyssey the volume on the audiosurce needs to be at 80-100%. No concerns there, just be aware. The first time I set it up I thought something was wrong.

Anyway.. just some feedback if you go the audiosource route. Get the newer AMP100VS which has trigger in, or know you will need to manually turn on the amp.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I also have a Denon x4400h and am running a 7.1.4 setup. I went with the Outlaw Model 5000 (B-Stock) for 600, so a bit pricier than the other options mentioned. I use it to power the two front speakers and the center (LCR) and really like the extra impact I get from it. However, my speakers are not sensitive and really do well with some extra power provided. The Outlaw amp turns off when the AVR goes off (trigger) and is whisper quiet, runs very cool, and is built really well.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

I haven't seen a spec for on/no signal power consumption for the inexpensive Class D amps, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was very low.

I have never had an issue with this feature an any amp with it. I have been using amps with this feature for over 20 yrs.

as regards to using a cheapie amp, left on... HEAT! I have seen some of these get quite hot, just sitting on

As I think about it, I can recall only 1 amp with a malfunctioning auto on (a small dayton class D) got very hot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts