AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pioneer RX-V673 with a 5.1 setup in zone-1. In my zone-2 setup I have 2 pairs of Yamaha in-ceiling 8ohm speakers ( Yamaha NS-IW280CWH ), and 1 pair of Yamaha outdoor speakers on the patio ( Yamaha NS-AW150W ). My zone-2 is not wired with volume controls so I have a speaker selector for impedance matching ( Monster SS4 ).

I've never setup a zone-2 before and I'm not really sure where to start. My Question is what would be the best budget external amp to power zone-2? My budget is only around $200. My zone-2 room is a fairly large area with high ceilings. Would an Onkyo M-5010 or a Dayton APA150 be enough to power my zone-2? Which would be the recommended amplifier for my setup?

This is probably a newbie question, but could a pro amp be used in a home theater? PA amps like the Crown XLS1000 seem to offer much more power per channel for the price. Is there a reason to stay away from pro amps in a home theater setup?

another possible cheaper options is the Russound X75

Thank You! I apologize for the newbie questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, It looks like I am gonna go with the AudioSource Amp.

I do have one more question. None of my speakers are wired with volume controls. I know that there is a volume knob on the AudioSource amp, but the amp will be in a closet. Is it possible to add a volume control for the entire zone-2? I don't need volume controls on these speakers for the impedance matching because that is being handled by the speaker-selector box. But a master volume control knob for zone-2 would be nice.

·
Premium Member
91,740 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts