AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am a newbe to posting on this forum, but have used it many times in the past to gain helpful information for my projects.

I have been searching for some answers to a couple of questions for sometime and have searched this forum and many others and not found any clear answers.

My first question is: Is there a way to control a peripheral a/v device such as a DVD/BD player, VCR or cd player through the Windows 7 MCE interface?

An exampler would be similar to hooking up your peripherals to a universal remote through IR or RS232 to control everything from one location. Basicaly you would make MCE an on-screen universal remote by using either IR or RS232 for control and a video capture card or sound card to input the media, where you would control and display the content within MCE. Similar to what they are doing with netflix and other internet content but instead of the content comming from the internet it would be coming from your peripheral device.The PC would not be doing the actual audio video processing like it does with the onboard disc drive, but only displaying and controling the content within the MCE player.

My second question, if the answer to the first question is yes: Does anyone make a network BD/DVD player?

When I say network I do not mean one that can stream content form internet media providers or a hard drive on your local network. I am talking about something similar to how the SiliconDust network TV tuners work, in that it sends all the media content over your local ethernet where it can be accessed from any computer on your network running MCE, and plays right within the MCE container.

I have just started working with Windows 7 MCE and I realy like the interface and would love to control my peripheral A/V equipment with it if possible.

As I said I have always received helpful information from this forum in the past, so I am looking forward to some insightful answers.

Any input on this would be helpful.

Thank You

·
Registered
776 Posts
Unfortunately, you probably are not getting replies because people do not understand the sense in what you are doing. As far as I know, WMC cannot control external devices. It sounds like you want to use WMC's onscreen control for your external DVD/BD player, but have your BD player play through WMC. Can you not play your DVD/BR's through your WMC PC?

There is are external networked BR player, most notably the Dune HD players. Read more about them in the "Networking, Media Servers & Content Streamers" forums here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1270503

I suggest to you that rather than trying to control your external BR devices with WMC, that you go the route of making your WMC HTPC bluray capable.

hjackson

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.