AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
The output resolution of your Laptop's graphics chip is apparently limited to 1680x1050 and can not be increased since more basndwidth would be required and more heat would be generated.

1680x1050 was until recently the common resolution for 22" and 23" PC LCD monitors. 1920x1200 was until recenlty the common resolution for 24" PC monitors. The 16x10 aspect ratio was chosen since it could display 2 8-1/2 11 document pages side by side.

Only recently has the 16x9 aspect ratio started being used for PC monitors and for laptop screens.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
If this is Intel graphics (and I think that's what you meant by "x3100") your BIOS is probably forbidding the 1920x1080 resolution because your laptop vendor shut it down (potentially for the exact reason walford pointed out, but it's hard to speculate on laptop vendors' motivations).

You can get around it in XP and Vista using DTDCalc, but I understand some people are having a hard time getting it working in Win7, so you might have to go old school with

http://software.intel.com/en-us/arti...ntel-graphics/

Don't even know whether that works on Win7, either. I'll try to help as I can, though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts