AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using an external hard drive that contains both a usb and ethernet interface? I see newegg has a few cases that contain both. My thinking is I wouldn't have to unplug it from the player and I can use the ethernet port to copy movies from my pc to the drive. I can setup a job to monitor a folder in windows and it can just copy any new files that it finds over to the external drive. Sound like a plan?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't think that anyone makes an enclosure which can make a drive simultaniously accessible by USB and ethernet (or eSATA or Firewire, etc.). I think that for any given moment, it can only have one active, functional connection. I could be wrong, but I looked for exactly to use with my Philips dvp-5982 dvd/usb player (before I bought a Popcorn Hour). There are lots of drives (like the one you found) which have multiple connections. I just don't think you can connect the USB to your WD and the ethernet to your network, leave it all connected and have it work like you want. But if you find out otherwise, please post back to this thread with details.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts