AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am toying with prospect of placing an HTPC in the basement below my HDTV. I would put the IR receiver for the MyHD card on the first floor with the cable running through the wall. In order to keep from having to walk downstairs to change DVDs, I would use a Firewire DVD drive with the cable running to the basement as well.

The main purpose of this is to avoid investing in cases, fans, harddrive cases, etc in order to reduce the noise. Would the noise truly be that excessive or would the added cost of $100-$150 for the firewire DVD be worth it? What is the experiences with firewire DVDs in terms of quality and stability?

Chris

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
As for your idea about running a wire through the wall for the remote receiver, you might think about picking up a remote extender from radioshack. Basically you put one unit in the room with the htpc and one in the room with the tv, and it will convert the ir signals to radio and back to ir.

For the dvd player, that one is harder. I never saw a long firewire cable, and I believe I read that you shouldn't run those cables to long anyway.

Nice consept though :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Firewire can run by itself about 15ft.

However, you can buy extenders (which are part of the Firewire spec) that will extend another 15ft. until you get to the limit of 225 ft.

Here is a place that has inline extenders that get their power from the Firewire bus:

http://www.orangemicro.com/repeater.html

Pricey at $50, but you will have silence.

Andrew

·
Registered
47 Posts
BudShark, I have done what exactly what you are talking about. I mounted my HTPC to the ceiling rafters in the basement directly below the TV. I drilled a 1 3/8" hole through the floor for the wires. Length of the connecting cables are only 6ft. I had bought a firewire enclosure first, then desided to mount all the parts in a low profile LPX case. Put in the DVD drive, Irman, Usb port, and used the firewire to ide bridge from the enclosure I had bought. Also ran a cable for the power, reset, and power led to the case from the PC. Now all I see in the living room is the small case. On a side note, working on the PC is much easier because it is in the open and I don't have to take stereo rack apart to add pc cards.

Hope this helps,

Steve H

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi Steve,

Quote:
Originally posted by StephenH
BudShark, I have done what exactly what you are talking about. I mounted my HTPC to the ceiling rafters in the basement directly below the TV. I drilled a 1 3/8" hole through the floor for the wires. Length of the connecting cables are only 6ft. I had bought a firewire enclosure first, then desided to mount all the parts in a low profile LPX case. Put in the DVD drive, Irman, Usb port, and used the firewire to ide bridge from the enclosure I had bought. Also ran a cable for the power, reset, and power led to the case from the PC. Now all I see in the living room is the small case. On a side note, working on the PC is much easier because it is in the open and I don't have to take stereo rack apart to add pc cards.
I'm planning on doing something similar, but my HTPC will be enclosed in a cabinet near the TV. Originally I was planning on only exposing the firewire DVD drive enclosure. But I really like your idea of using a small case to provide access to all the various ports.

Can you upload some pictures of your set up?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I am using an IEEE1394 DVD drive with a 15' cable, with the drive on my RPTV and the computer in the adjacent room so I can close that door and have near-silence. It works quite well, except that I may be seeing some of that 'judder' (?) (non-smooth horizontal pans in film scenes) that has been mentioned here many times. I don't know if it is from using the 1394 drive, but PowerDVD 4 seems to look smoother than WinDVD 3.1 or the recent Ravisent decoder pack. All actual playing has been through Zoom Player.

·
Registered
144 Posts
right now I'm doing absolutely the same thing ... good enclosure from comp. geeks ... and as soon as I get back to dorms, get my htpc working again, it should be cool :) ... have htpc in the basement ... and will be using (hopefully) fujitsu 510 remote wireless control :) ...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here are the two pieces of my system. The first pic is the zpx case from compgeeks that I painted black, this has DVD drive and Irman inside.

The second pic is the main pc looking up from underneath. It was a standard tower case that I repositioned the drives in so the cd would be horizontal. It is mounted upside down so that the pci cards are accessible.

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.