AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've searched the forum and found a couple of things but still am slightly puzzled, or maybe just hopeful, that I don't need to go spend hundreds of dollars on some crazy IR kit that does much more than what I need.

My need:

- To connect an IR receiver (as talked about in the manual) to the 3.5mm plug on the back of my Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH so that I can hide the receiver in a cabin and get the remote to work

My hopes:

- That I spend a few bucks for some little IR-receiver

What I hope I don't need:

- Some IR repeater kit that needs AC power and has an IR Bank with a bunch of IR flasher output that is total overkill for my needs because the only thing hiding in the cabinet is the receiver, everything else has their own separate remote

why can't I just buy something like this for example:

amazon.com/Cmple-Dual-Frequency-Receiver-DirectTV/dp/B00255GURK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1250211393&sr=8-1

or maybe I can't get away with that cheap but maybe this part by itself would work:

amazon.com/SmartDisk-291-10-TABLETOP-SENSOR-8110/dp/B0007P5KAI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1250211393&sr=8-9

I guess I'm just trying hard not to have to buy a receiver + repeater + flashers when it seems like, from the manual, that I just need the receiver piece, but I'm having a hard time getting confirmation of that

So, any recommendations on what to get?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This seems like total overkill as well heh. Actually, does it even connect to the 3.5mm input on the back of the receiver? this says it uses a COAX cable to another device which converts back to IR and emits, it's again a receiver to emitter solution which works for any device, even those with no 3.5mm input in the back, one of the reasons I got this more expensive receiver.

Can any other Pioneer Elite owner here who uses that input in the back for IR-receivers explain what they are using?

thanks!

·
Registered
3,280 Posts

·
Registered
12,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCyberFox /forum/post/16996829

So, I've searched the forum and found a couple of things but still am slightly puzzled, or maybe just hopeful, that I don't need to go spend hundreds of dollars on some crazy IR kit that does much more than what I need.

My need:

- To connect an IR receiver (as talked about in the manual) to the 3.5mm plug on the back of my Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH so that I can hide the receiver in a cabin and get the remote to work

My hopes:

- That I spend a few bucks for some little IR-receiver

What I hope I don't need:

- Some IR repeater kit that needs AC power and has an IR Bank with a bunch of IR flasher output that is total overkill for my needs because the only thing hiding in the cabinet is the receiver, everything else has their own separate remote

why can't I just buy something like this for example:

amazon.com/Cmple-Dual-Frequency-Receiver-DirectTV/dp/B00255GURK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1250211393&sr=8-1

or maybe I can't get away with that cheap but maybe this part by itself would work:

amazon.com/SmartDisk-291-10-TABLETOP-SENSOR-8110/dp/B0007P5KAI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1250211393&sr=8-9

I guess I'm just trying hard not to have to buy a receiver + repeater + flashers when it seems like, from the manual, that I just need the receiver piece, but I'm having a hard time getting confirmation of that

So, any recommendations on what to get?

Xantech 291..

$48 from Parts Express..

Here is the link.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=182-456

It has a 3.5 m/m mini output connector, set the little IR receiver out on a shelf and run the cable to the Pioneer.. Takes about 5 minutes to setup..

Next question..

Just my $0.015...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code /forum/post/17005901

Xantech 291..

$48 from Parts Express..

Here is the link.

parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=182-456

It has a 3.5 m/m mini output connector, set the little IR receiver out on a shelf and run the cable to the Pioneer.. Takes about 5 minutes to setup..

Next question..

Just my $0.015...

Fantastic, thanks M this is exactly what I needed, it answers the question that an IR receiver (not a repeater + flashers) is all I need. I knew there was no way I needed to get these crazy kits

·
Registered
6,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code /forum/post/17005901

Xantech 291..

$48 from Parts Express..

Here is the link.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=182-456

Next question..

Just my $0.015...

Doesn't that still require a power cube? I see that the kit includes the connecting block, but no wall wart.

Brian

Edit: Answered my own question, I think: *Power: 12 volts DC @ 10 mA *781RG Power Supply required

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread since I have a similar need to the OP's. I have a VSX-90 receiver which has an IR control In port on the back that I would like to use since the spot where the AVR is installed does not have good Line Of Sight from all typical locations. Can anyone recommend a nice, simple solution for this application?

Thanks,
Ted

·
Registered
6 Posts
So did you find a solution

Same boat as you, I want to use the IR input on the back of the receiver but all I an find are repeaters with separate power supplies that stick to the front of the receiver's IR input.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Same boat as you, I want to use the IR input on the back of the receiver but all I an find are repeaters with separate power supplies that stick to the front of the receiver's IR input.
Yep, that's what you need to get IR into a mono 3.5mm IR in port. The port doesn't provide any sort of power, so any solution is going to require a separate power source. However, instead of using an emitter that sticks to the front of the receiver's IR input, you connect it directly to the IR port on the back with a mono 3.5mm cable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks

Ok that explains it pretty well, So instead of hooking up the emitter I need to use a mono mini jack from the output of the main box directly to the IR input on the back of the receiver. I take it a stereo .35mm jack will not work.

Thank you

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Ok that explains it pretty well, So instead of hooking up the emitter I need to use a mono mini jack from the output of the main box directly to the IR input on the back of the receiver. I take it a stereo .35mm jack will not work.

Thank you
A stereo 3.5mm might work. Mono 3.5mm cables are cheap, though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.