AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an single source external solution that I can hook up to my HTPC to get OTA HD through MCE XP 2005? I've read that MCE requires an analog tuner in setup, but what if the external tuner has both analog and digital tuners? Or is there a hack to get around the MCE analog requirement?

If so, what's the best bet balancing hardware/software for an external tuner for a pvr that's around $100?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Well, VisionTek has their TV Wonder HD 600 USB Stick for around that on Newegg... It's a hybrid stick with certifications for MCE right on the specs. Not too shabby for your use. I believe that USB sticks like this have an all-in-one coax tuner, which does both analog and digital out of the same connection, unlike an internal tuner which both coaxes are separate.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hi there

The MCE requirement for the analog tuner also specifies that it have a hardware encoder. It's not external, but the KWorld PCI 120 is a single-card tuner that I have working under MCE to receive OTA HDTV. For whatever reason, MCE won't tune to the analog channels. It's a low-profile card, but there's no low-profile bracket.

Regards

·
Registered
37 Posts
i'm using the hauppauge HVR-950 with MCE 2005 just fine... picks up analog and digital...

i believe regular price was 60 bucks, but i got it for 30 on black friday from compusa...

a new model was just announced at CES which is coming out with QAM as well, if you're interested in that, but OTA works for me... i'm not even using hauppauge's wintv software, just the drivers... watching/scheduling all with Media Center

1 - 4 of 4 Posts