AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I found this forum to ask a question. I recently bought a used toshiba tv and on most of the stations the cable is a little fuzzy. I know it is not the cable because when I use the cable on another tv its perfect. I'm thinking the cable tuner built into the tv is a little screwy or something, so i'm wondering if i can buy an external cable tuner where I can plug the cable into it, and then from that plug it into my tv using the rca inputs, as I know those work perfect. Anyone heard of any such hardware?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivegottheedge21 /forum/post/14220660

Hello I found this forum to ask a question. I recently bought a used toshiba tv and on most of the stations the cable is a little fuzzy. I know it is not the cable because when I use the cable on another tv its perfect. I'm thinking the cable tuner built into the tv is a little screwy or something, so i'm wondering if i can buy an external cable tuner where I can plug the cable into it, and then from that plug it into my tv using the rca inputs, as I know those work perfect. Anyone heard of any such hardware?

Have you tried a VCR or DVD player? It could be a problem with the TV but not related to the TV tuner.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
He said most stations, so I'm assuming some come in clear. And he said the RCA inputs work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivegottheedge21 /forum/post/14220660

so i'm wondering if i can buy an external cable tuner where I can plug the cable into it, and then from that plug it into my tv using the rca inputs, as I know those work perfect. Anyone heard of any such hardware?

I think the easiest solution is a used VCR. The tape part doesn't even have to work, you just need the tuner. It should tune your cable's analog basic lineup. A DVD recorder with an analog tuner would also work, although with cable possibly going digital, you may look into one with a QAM tuner, too, just to future proof it a bit.

I think there were standalone analog tuners/boxes available, too, but those have become a little more scarce with cable ready TVs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so if i have say a vcr player and i plug the cable into the vcr, won't I need to run a cable from the vcr into the tv's cable input, therefor using the televisions tuner again? I guess it's worth a shot if the vcr has to be on channel 3 or something if that channel comes in good then maybe the vcr tuner will work well.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Use a VCR with a video line output (composite) that avoids use of a tuner in the TV.

You may be getting leakage in a coax cable to that particular TV and not others in other locations from a splitter. I had that issue with one TV and not others from a 4way splitter. Probably a leaky coax just to that one location.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivegottheedge21 /forum/post/14223314

so if i have say a vcr player and i plug the cable into the vcr, won't I need to run a cable from the vcr into the tv's cable input, therefor using the televisions tuner again?

Not if you get a VCR with RCA outputs. You connect that to your TV's RCA inputs and let the VCR tune the channels. Your TV is set to "video" or whatever. The signal will never touch the TV's tuner.

Quote:
I guess it's worth a shot if the vcr has to be on channel 3 or something if that channel comes in good then maybe the vcr tuner will work well.

No, the VCR doesn't have to be on channel three, or even the TV for that matter. The VCR should handle all the tuning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts