AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know an External TV Tuner that has S-Video out? All of the external TV Tuner (ViewSonic, S-Media, WinTV) only have RGB out to monitor, what if I want to record the show? What if I want to route the signal back to PC to use dScaler?:confused:

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
For a Dscaler applications you do not need an external tuner, as most capture cards used for Dscaler also have TV tuners and Dscaler software will control them for channel change, etc.

For recording TV use a S-VHS deck whhich has a tuner, entirely seperate from the PC, allowing you to watch one show while recording another. When not recording, the S-VHS can be used as an off-air tuner with S-video output - although like I said, inexpensive capture cards for Dscaler (like the Hauppage WinTV series) have onboard tuners.

Gary

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm already using a Winfast 2000XP Deluxe. The reason why I'm considering external tuner because the internal tuner card doesn't give good PQ. I read that there're many interference going inside the HTPC, and my friend came over to my place, watch the TV demo and comment the same issue.

Most people recommend route the video signal into HTPC using S-Video. This is a setting for projection to 84" screen, so you can picture how critical the PQ is.

If possible, I would like to stay away from S-VHS, one less STB in my shelf.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You could try one of the USB based TV tuners. Both Adaptec and Hauppauge offer them. They're probably others, however I haven't used a USB based TV tuner so I can't vouch for the quality.

·
Registered
370 Posts
kc_moses: it probably didn't sink in on the other thread, but...

Over the air NTSC broadcast is composite. For a tuner to output S-video, it has to do Y/C separation.* There is no guarantee that the Y/C separation in that tuner is any better than the Y/C separation in your video input device. So an external tuner using an S-video connection may or may not be better than an external tuner using a composite connection--it depends on the details. So go ahead and start with composite video and see if that eliminates the noise that is possibly caused by interference, if you already have an external tuner, such as in a VCR.

* you'll often see people call this comb filtering, but this is a slight misnomer--a comb filter is merely the most common method of accomplishing Y/C separation.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I would NOT consider a USB tuner or any solution that does not support Dscaler. There is no better video quality for analog TV than that. I'm not familiar with the Winfast2000 Deluxe but if it doesn't support Dscaler, replace it with an inexpensive tuner that does. Hauppage, Zoltrix, etc. are all good and very seldom does one experience interference from the PC using one of these boards with an onboard Phillips tuner. Those that do are considered defective.

Gary

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm currently using Dscaler with the Winfast, the quality is slightly better than using the software come with that card, but still, there must be some way to get a better quality picture. My LCT TV Monitor (Envision) does a better job than the Winfast....

I don't have a VCR. My HT setting only has a Harmon Kardon Receiver and the HTPC. I don't see the need of VCR as my goal is record all shows in the HTPC like Tivo.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Are you saying that:

setup 1: RF line (cable or antenna) straight into TV's tuner

setup 2: RF line into WinFast card in PC, VGA into TV's VGA input

setup 1 is noticably better than setup 2

If so, can you describe what it is that is worse? Is there lots of speckling on the PC output? A herringbone pattern overlay? Lots of "snow"? Video is wavy and moving? Slow geometry distortion going up or down? Lots of pauses or jerks? Motion just not smooth? Very dark? Color hue way off? (I'm trying to think of as many common conditions as I can...)

I was suggesting trying a VCR since VCRs often have tuners, are widely available, and usually cheap.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm using both Setup 1 and 2. Setup 1 is better than setup 2, but I can't watch TV on my projector, as the projector is connected to the video card.

With setup 1, I can't do PVR.

Here is my Setup:

RF line to Winfast, Radeon 9000 VGA/DVI to projector.

Some channels have way off hue issue. I'm not sure what is "herringbone pattern overlay" mean, but all channels have lines. There is no motion or jerk.

As you mention, setup 1 is better than setup 2, because of the inteference inside the HTPC.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.