AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beside looking for a xover component I have some questions.

Is it preferred to have all speakers set at the same crossover? Most of the crossovers I have seen are two channel. Is it not important to be able to set the crossovers for the center and the surrounds? Thanks

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Sounds like you might want to check out the Outlaw ICBM for a multichanel crossover solution.

Quote from their web site:

The Outlaw Audio ICBM-1 is a sophisticated, audiophile-grade six-channel bass management system designed to be used with DVD-Audio or SACD players. The price of the ICBM-1 is just $249!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Clyde,

Just to clarify, are you looking for an external bass management system or are you looking for a true crossover for bi-amping full range speakers?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi mule

I'm looking for a bass management system and the ICBM is the only one I found that would manage all channels. Therefore I'm wondering since most of the xovers, Marchalnd, M&K, only work with the front left and right, is it important to be able to set the Center and surrounds? If no, why not?

Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ah...

I really don't have much to add, then :(

I will say that the capabilities that you're looking for do exist in (I believe) the Lexicon MC-8 and 12 pre/pros. Not sure if the Meridian's do it, but I assume so. I believe that there are several AV receivers that can do this as well. Others chime in??

As to your question, I would assume that the ability to do this would be very desireable if you don't have the same speakers all the way around, like most of us. I assume (probably incorrectly) that the M&K unit is designed for an "all the same" configuration. jm2c

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
First off, I would say that for the typical home theater, the bass management crossover is more important for the center & surrounds since most people have less bass extension in those speakers than they do on their front L/R. As far as whether to set them all at the same crossover point, I've heard opinions on both sides of the fence. Personally, mine vary (60 Hz mains, 100 center, 80 surrounds), but I've heard many people say just to set them all at 80 Hz and be done with it.

Most receviers and pre/pro's do offer some do offer some type of multi-channel bass management solution, although most of those will not do anything for the multichannel inputs used for DVD-A and SACD. I know the Harman Kardon receivers will perform full bass management on the 5.1 inputs, but this is at the cost of an extra set of A/D and D/A conversions. The Outlaw ICBM is the only piece of equipment I know of that will do full multi-channel bass management in the analog domain.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice and info. The receiver I have, Kenwood VR6070, does not have settings for each channel just setting for large and small. I think the ICBM might be the way to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.