Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for you guys:

When i go around town (detroit area), some places are quoting me as much as $300 for "Hi-def installation" for Directv

Is this common?

I havent seen in any literature that says having hi-def would be anymore expensive than regular installation.(of oval dish and 3 stb's)

For example, If i wanted 3 regular STB's then i would need the oval dish anyways, but Best buy ( i know, I know) tells me that if 1 of the 3 is a Hi-Def box, then there is extra 300 charge for the installation.

What gives

·
Registered
572 Posts
It does take longer to dial in both sats. when installing the oval dish, even with instruments. There's also an additional coax run to deal with. I would think that $150 sounds about right esp. when free installation of single dishes seem to be offered everywhere with the purchase of the cheapest receiver.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my point is that if i was going to get the oval dish anyways for the 3 receiver set0-up and there is NO additional charge, why would there be a 300 charge if one of my stb's was Hi-def

you would have to synch the oval dish and run the cables anyways for an all reg-def set-up, right?

[This message has been edited by billmich (edited 07-10-2001).]

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by billmich:

When i go around town (detroit area), some places are quoting me as much as $300 for "Hi-def installation" for Directv

Is this common?

No! That's a rip-off! The single room is free, the second room is $50, the second satellite aiming is practically automatic and therefore, the installer should just charge you for the extra cables, terminators and the 15 minutes of extra labor. I say all this should just cost you $100.

Will

------------------

I Want My sports In HDTV

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dagman:
It would help if you told us if you are getting DirecTV or Dish Network.
Billmich said it's for DirecTV.

------------------

I Want My sports In HDTV

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by billmich:

Is this common?
One ABC Warehouse wanted to charge me around $300 for the install, the second only wanted $75. There's definitely some room to play with the price.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here's my story. I first subscribed to Directv in September 1999, with a round 101° dish. The Directv Para Todos package started soon after here in the Chicago area, and I saw a note about it on the Directv web page. I called, they offered a plus receiver, the oval dish, and installation of the new dish, all for $99. (The Para Todos programming is at 119° West Longitude along with the meager HD offering.)

Needless to say, I couldn't pass it up. They shipped the dish and receiver, a guy came out a week or two later, and installed everything in about an hour. I practiced what little Spanish I know, and we talked about Mexican soccer. I checked NASA TV as well, and I tipped him 20 bucks.

This spring, when I acquired my SR-HD5 receiver, I already had the dish ready to go, so it couldn't have been simpler to get HDTV going.

If you're in a Directv Para Todos area, you might want to consider this option. I don't know if the special I got still exists, but $300 extra sounds like a complete rip-off to me. Good luck...

ps I now have an extra dual-LNB round dish sitting in the attic, in the event I ever add or switch to Dish Network or want to take one of the receivers on the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.