AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was over at my friends house and I had my harddrive in his 360. He doesn't have oblivion or Halo 2, which i had brought with me, he also doesn't have xbox live yet. I put Oblivion in and noticed that the little message that indicates i have downloaded content didn't pop up. It also said that my current save file had dowloaded content in it, but the system couldn't find it. I also coulnd't play on any of the downloaded maps for halo 2. I went into my memory and confirmed that I did have each download. but i was able to play the demos i'd downloaded of xbox live. his xbox is new, mine was 2005, is my hardware too old for his or what?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yes, you need the oblivion patch via Live before it will work.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was attempting to play on my xbox live profile, but the only thing was i couldn't sign into live. I think that was the only problem, but i want to be sure because my xbox broke, MS is sending me one hopefully at this moment and i want to know what do to fix it. anyone know?

·
Registered
351 Posts
What do you mean your xbox broke? If your friends 360 isnt connected to the internet than it doesnt matter what profile you use.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, my xbox died, thus without my daily supplement of video games, i took MY harddrive to my friends house, and put it in HIS console. I tried playing oblivion on MY xbox live account. He doesn't have live, so i could sign in to his console, just not the xbox live. from there it proceeded to not load any downloaded content

·
Registered
257 Posts
I think you may need to "authenticate" the use of the extra content via a linkup to Xbox Live, and then you'll be good to go. But this is a guess.

FWIW (and I realize this is a different scenario), I have two 360s, each with its own hard drive, and my profile is on a 64 MB memory unit. I downloaded the Oblivion extra content to one, and then to the other (second time for free of course) and I can play on either 360 using the extra content using my gamertag.

And, so long as my profile is plugged in, other gamertags on that same 360 can use the extra content OK. This applies both to local and Live gamertags

·
Registered
257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBetterHalf /forum/post/0

I just want to be sure that this is something i can fix, i can't live without oblivion, and i'm much to far in to even consider restarting.

Try your hard drive on a 360 with Xbox Live connectivity, log in with the gamertag that paid for the extra content, and you should be good to go. If it glitches in any way, re-download the content (which will probably not take an actuial time-consuming download, just a verification of the presence of the existing content.)

If that fails, delete the content from your hard-drive and re-download the content, but I think that will not be needed. Don't worry, the gamertag that paid for the content always owns it

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
should i be forced to download the content and re download it, will my profile that i actually completed the content on be affected. for instance i have the 3 houses additions, (vile lair, etc) knights of the nine, and mehrunes razor. will i lose this content and have to redo it? i don't mind paying the gold to restock the houses, but i do mind having to go through mehrunes razor again as it was kinda not so fun.

·
Registered
257 Posts

Quote:

should i be forced to download the content and re download it, will my profile that i actually completed the content on be affected. for instance i have the 3 houses additions, (vile lair, etc) knights of the nine, and mehrunes razor. will i lose this content and have to redo it? i don't mind paying the gold to restock the houses, but i do mind having to go through mehrunes razor again as it was kinda not so fun.

When you "Save", the status of your world and the history of your character is saved in the save file. One file is created every time you save (unless you choose to overwrite an existing one). So your character's past interaction with the original and add-on content is recorded there, including (for example) any goodies he/she might have collected along the way and be carrying or have stashed away somewhere.

If you delete the content, that is like destroying the original Oblivion DVD (except that you can re-create it by download rather than having to buy a replacement DVD), and has no effect on your saved status.

BTW, you will notice that save files created early in a character's "life" are quite small and as the amount of history that needs to be recorded grows, they become larger. Don't delete the latest one of these!

·
Registered
155 Posts
This sounds like the problem of the DRM (Digital Rights Management) system with the XBox 360. The content you downloaded originally was assigned to not only your gamertag but to your specific console as well.

That content is not available offline on a different console, just the one it was originally downloaded on and registered to.

These links should help you understand the problem:

http://forums.xbox.com/36/1159815/ShowPost.aspx#1159815
http://perfectcr.com/archives/41-Dud...e-Content.html
http://brokenxblm.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendy8 /forum/post/0

This sounds like the problem of the DRM (Digital Rights Management) system with the XBox 360. The content you downloaded originally was assigned to not only your gamertag but to your specific console as well.

That content is not available offline on a different console, just the one it was originally downloaded on and registered to.

These links should help you understand the problem:

very helpful thank you. it does say i need to be signed into live, which i couldn't be at my friends house. now im in an odd situation, i have to sign into live every time I want to use that stuff because MS is replacing my dead Xbox now. This sucks. At least i know what the problem was, thanks guys.

·
Registered
155 Posts

Quote:

very helpful thank you. it does say i need to be signed into live, which i couldn't be at my friends house. now im in an odd situation, i have to sign into live every time I want to use that stuff because MS is replacing my dead Xbox now. This sucks. At least i know what the problem was, thanks guys.

That's where MS is really failing, when consoles need to be replaced. I'm struggling with this issue right now myself because, on my original console, all of the content I downloaded I did with my g/f's silver gamertag. There's 5 gamertags on my console and we all had access to that content before but now, with the replacement console, none of us do anymore. You probably read about the workaround, that's what I have to do now. I called XBox support yesterday and it's exactly what they told me to do. I have to create a "dummy" silver account on the new console and MS is going to reimburse me for all of the points that were used so that I can re-download everything on the new console so that all gamertags have access again. Hopefully they do so in a timely manner, the agent said 3-5 days.

They really should have a better solution by now for this problem IMO.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
from the sounds of it, couldn't i delete the content that was originally downloaded on Xbox A, redownload it on xbox B for free since it's the same account, and then access it without having to sign in? Since i was using Xbox B this time, shouldn't it be reset to recognize it instead of xbox A?

·
Registered
155 Posts

Quote:

from the sounds of it, couldn't i delete the content that was originally downloaded on Xbox A, redownload it on xbox B for free since it's the same account, and then access it without having to sign in? Since i was using Xbox B this time, shouldn't it be reset to recognize it instead of xbox A?

Nope, doesn't work. You will be able to delete and download it again without being charged twice as the content is registered to your gamertag but that content is also registered to the serial number of XBox A and the DRM system that MS is using interprets that you are trying to copy the content onto another XBox 360. There currently is no way for MS to deauthorize XBox A and transfer that content to XBox B.

I discovered all of this when playing FIFA '07 just after getting my replacement XBox 360 back. A message came up saying "Pitch crest could not be located". With FIFA '07 there was some downloadable content on the marketplace that placed a team's crest on the training pitch and I purchased it for 150 MS points using my g/f's gamertag on my old console. I thought it was very strange that it wasn't working on the new console so I did exactly what your idea was - signed on as my g/f, deleted the "Pitch Crest" download from the system and redownloaded it thinking maybe it was just corrupted somehow. Still no luck, they still couldn't be loaded in-game. Then I felt like playing some Lumines Live in the XBLA (also downloaded on the old console using the g/f's gamertag). I went in to the arcade blade, found Lumines Live and went to "Play game", only "Play Game" was no longer an option - it now read "Play Trial Game" ..... "wth?" I thought to myself then proceeded to visit the XBox forums to figure out what the deal was which I did and was extremely discomforted that MS is putting very little effort into fixing this issue.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll admit this must suck for some people, but now that i know the problem, I'm not worried. I almost never play if i'm not signed into live so even on my new console I'll be in the clear...As long as it doesn't break as soon as I get it out of the box...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.