AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, a question for you experts...I installed an upgraded HD in my Sony Ult TV a few months back - worked great. Unfortunately, about 2 weeks ago, I've had some tuner problems. If kept on for a prolonged period, a tuner would go 'out'. So I switched cables to make sure it wasn't a bad cable. I tried turning off the unit and after it cooled down over night, it would work again in the AM.

So my question - have any of you installed a 2nd fan or daisy chained something off the power from the HD? I was going to install an additional fan over the HD to keep it cooler but wanted to check with the pro's here...

Any link or previous post you can point me to?

Thx all!

Kerry

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

I've made a point of mentioning this to everyone using UTVs... Many issues with the UTV can be partly caused by heat build up... so taking note of any heat issues and addressing them will greatly improve your UTV's "happiness".

Make sure your UTV is "in the open"... Having it stuffed in a cramped Home Entertainment Center or stacking lots of stuff on it... where it can't get much air is bad...

For many the rubber feet on UTVs are much too small... if the unit is elevated (using items like plastic bottle caps) the cooling ability is increased...

Make sure the internal fan is working... it keeps the Hard Drive cool and increases air flow inside the UTV...

Make sure all your vents top/bottom/sides are all clear and again have plenty of space around them...

If you feel you need more cooling power you can find Notebook coolers (like CyberCooler) that can be used to keep the UTV cooler...

As you've already done... powering down the unit and letting it cool down is a good idea... if the tuner continues to work after "increasing" the UTV's cooling ability then you might have dodged the bullet for now...

Keep a close eye on it...

Let us know,

·
Registered
17,675 Posts
Since the hard drive has its own fan, you might want to consider something for the tuners, rather than another for the drive. The idea is to keep heat away from the tuners, not blow more hard drive heat at them. Perhaps a fan connected to the case vent hole might be good for pulling heat out of the unit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by lgodavid
Hi,

I've made a point of mentioning this to everyone using UTVs... Many issues with the UTV can be partly caused by heat build up... so taking note of any heat issues and addressing them will greatly improve your UTV's "happiness".

Make sure your UTV is "in the open"... Having it stuffed in a cramped Home Entertainment Center or stacking lots of stuff on it... where it can't get much air is bad...

For many the rubber feet on UTVs are much too small... if the unit is elevated (using items like plastic bottle caps) the cooling ability is increased...

Make sure the internal fan is working... it keeps the Hard Drive cool and increases air flow inside the UTV...

Make sure all your vents top/bottom/sides are all clear and again have plenty of space around them...

If you feel you need more cooling power you can find Notebook coolers (like CyberCooler) that can be used to keep the UTV cooler...

As you've already done... powering down the unit and letting it cool down is a good idea... if the tuner continues to work after "increasing" the UTV's cooling ability then you might have dodged the bullet for now...

Keep a close eye on it...

Let us know,

I haven't elevated the unit any more than the rubber feet and actually it was sitting on top of my Sony forever and a day - the heat issue just started out of no where. Previously we had always kept it on 24/7 like the PC in my office...

Does the CyberCooler move more air? Right now I think I'm going to run it without the top on for awhile and see if the tuner issue rears its ugly head again.

In the meantime, if anyone knows if I can daisychain another fan off the UTV power supply please let me know. I'm not a EE but am dangerous enough to do some surgery on the case and attach a fan to the lid as a better option than leave the entire thing exposed :)

Thx all

K

·
Registered
17,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by supratrbo2
I haven't elevated the unit any more than the rubber feet and actually it was sitting on top of my Sony forever and a day - the heat issue just started out of no where. Previously we had always kept it on 24/7 like the PC in my office...

Right now I think I'm going to run it without the top on for awhile and see if the tuner issue rears its ugly head again.
Heat damage can be cumulative and hit at any time. Because you're dealing with digital tuners, the drop off is very quick. Damage that started 6 or 8 months ago may be just creating enough of a problem to cause the signal to dump out. It's kind of that "either on or off" thing you get with digital components. It's not always how you treat your unit now, it's how you've always treated it. Once heat damage starts, there is now way to undo it, so proper care may still not save a tuner - even if it is working fine now.

I don't recommend running the unit uncovered. Aside from the safety issues (an unprotected power supply, for one), this will allow dust and other contaminates to coat the chips and components - causing more heat buildup. Also, internal fans tend to work less efficiently when the case is open - a certain amount of turbulence is needed for proper cooling. Finally, if heat is an issue and you take the cover off, you'll be tempted to "hand test" the temperature (you know, touch it to see if it feels hot) of the hard drive, etc. and you run the risk of shocking those components with static electricity.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I wouldn't suggest running your UTV without the top on either. You'll also be allowing more radio frequency energy to escape from inside the UTV which could possibly "dirty up" your other electronic gear (or your neighbors'), never mind being an FCC no-no.

I still think that most of the tuner area heat comes from the bottom of the case, so going topless isn't where I'd start.

I'm having good luck with heat since I put a 3 inch by 6 inch heatsink on the bottom of my UTV, with two quiet RPM-reduced fans blowing over this external heatsink underneath from the back. A temperature probe next to the "hot plate" area inside on the bottom of the UTV is typically about 10 degrees (F) warmer than the room temperature. And I haven't even put any heatsink compound on yet. The heatsink is just wedged up underneath the UTV which is raised up about 3 inches on the sides. I was careful not to cover up any of the air holes on the bottom of the case, since air movement through them is very important.

·
Registered
202 Posts
While taking the case off of the UTV is not a good idea, more holes/perforations in the case is needed IMHO. On the regular DirecTV receivers there are far more holes in the case and these units are half the size of a UTV and they have only one tuner. Speaking of tuners, our digital tuners seem more fragile than the regular DTV tuner. Why couldn't they place 2 of these tuner types in our UTV'S? Are DirecTiVo's using a digital tuner? I really hope someone with some major EE background looks into this issue of tuner failure. If Thomson can fix them, I'm sure others can too.:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.