AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right forum, so admins, feel free to route to the correct one if this isn't.

We want to have an HDTV LCD display in the kitchen, near the cooks' station; probably an under cabinet-swiveling panel. Doesn't need to have same stereo/surround output as our Toshiba 37HLX95 [living/family room unit].

What I would like to know is if there is a way to output the same a/v signal that the Toshiba is receiving. In other words, we want the two synchronized.

The Toshiba is a great panel; I've noted this on another link here at AVS. Although it's a 2005 model and isn't quite as quick for response time as newer units, the bult-in dvd and CableCard make an excellent looking wall mount system.

So, the issue is: Can the Toshiba output the same A/V its receiving from the CableCard to another LCD panel in the kitchen?

My instinct tells me no.

In that case, are there any small, hi-quality HDTV panels that run a cablecard?

That would be the only install that would work in the kitchen, since we don't want to install a seperate s/t box and start having to take up cabinet space for it.

Let me know what you think of as any possibilities or alternatives.

Thanks,

Patrick

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
If you look at the output terminals on the rear of the Toshiba I don't believe that you will find HDMI out or component out. So no, it cannot send the video signal from the cable card to a display in the kitchen.

If you were using a set top box you could buy a component video splitter, and use it to send the video stream to two sets.

Buy with a cable card I think you are out of luck, but perhaps someone knows of a way to do it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trekguy,

I checked my manual and what it does have is 'Standard composite video/audio output for connecting a VCR forediting and dubbing '. I don't think composite video can transmit full HD, but on a 17" 16:9 LCD, would I even be able to notice that difference?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've looked around at small HDTVs [19" and less] and most all are 4:3 display format; would I do just as well to use a good widescreen computer lcd monitor?

They're usually a lot smaller in form and some can accept std a/v composite input.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Composite video is the lowest capability video (in order they run composite, S-video, component and HDMI). So yes it will not be HD. I don't know what you will see with a composite connection to a TV that is getting a 16 x 9 HD signal. If you have another set around you might try it.

If you won't need an on board tuner, a monitor that accepts component would work. You will want one with built in speakers or separate speakers for the audio of course.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK Trek- the way I see it, looking into a mid-quality 17-19" wxga monitor w/speakers [+/- $200] that displays 16:9 wouldn't be too much of a limb to go out on. If it doesn't work out, I at least have a good external monitor for my notebooks.

But, what's the distance limit on a run of composite cable? I need to go about 40 lineal feet. I guess I can search around for a thread on cabling; just thought you might know a stat off the top.

Thanks,

Patrick

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I've never used anything longer than about 25 feet, but my understanding is that RG59 or RG6 should carry a good signal for at least several times that distance.

Good luck on the project.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wanted to do the same thing, split my STB to 2 locations. 1 to Family room (existing) and 1 to outside sunroom (soon to be completed). I was going to use a component video splitter like this:

Component video splitter

I have an IR repeater already set up so I would run an additional reciver to the sunroom. I was thinking of running this cable:

Monoprice cable

Not sure if this is the way to go. It doesn't seem to be very good "futureproofing". $200 investment. Better idea just to rent another STB from cable co and buy a cheap DVD player? Still not sure how I would route the DVD player and PC storing movies to the sunroom. Would I route the STB and DVD player through my amp and then distribute out?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.