AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about signing up with the Blockbuster deal for DirecTV. I would get the Hughes E11 that comes with the deal, activate it to make BB happy, and then get a $99 DirecTivo. My question is, will I still be able to use the E11 too? I don't want to pay an extra fee for the extra receiver. (For cable, there's no extra fee if no extra cable box is required, so it's hard for me to justify paying per TV.)

If I just move the E11, and don't hook it up to a phone line, will it work? Is this a violation of DirecTV policy? Or is the $5/month only required if you want scheduling info and pay-per-view capabilites?

I apologize if this is a gray area, but it's a pretty simple thing to do, so I assume if this violates DirecTV's policy, than DirecTV will have taken steps to make sure it won't work.

Mike

·
Registered
57 Posts
DirecTV will continue to bill you for the E11 as long as you tell them to keep it active. When you call to deactivate it, they will send information down the satellite datastream to deactivate the receiver.

The phone connection has nothing to do with the actual activation of programming. They just use it to ensure that all receivers on the same account are calling from the same location.

So, in a nutshell, if you're not paying the $5 to mirror your programming to the receiver, the receiver will not display your channels.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:mad:

Oh well...

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.