Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I might be crazy (and we could usually stop there), but I've run the extract_rtv command on my SS2000 disk that just decided on its own to delete all of my recorded shows one day [Where I yammered on about this earlier] (about 25 hours worth, all recorded in low-q, on an unhacked system), and the results are, to say the least, unimpressive.

According to everything I've read on this forum, I should have seen multiple lines with the description of xxxxx.mpg, yes? I had, according to MyReplayTV (still had my data pre-loss), 35 guaranteed and not-guaranteed items recorded, some 1/2-hour, most 1-hour, and 3 or 4 were 2-hours long, so it seems reasonable to expect to see a bunch of inodes with xxx.mpg. After my SS decided to delete all shows, I let it record one more show to make certain it still functioned, and THAT is the only mpg that shows up in 15 pages of inodes found when running the command

extract_rtv -p2 -dd >files.txt

The Replay disk is the second of two in my PC. The first disk is the one with my Windows2000 OS on it. Extract_rtv seemed to be able to determine that this second disk was the one to work with, so I'm at a loss why I don't see a bunch of mpgs.

The majority of the inodes, according to the (description) on the end of each line, are "xxxx.FiledArray"s or a whole passle of different cable boxes, ie:
"valid inode (0x01e8) found at cluster 15527 (RadioShackCableBox)" , "valid inode (0x01e8) found at cluster 16340 (ScientificAtlantaCableBox)",

etc.

The only xxxx.mpg is the one show I recorded AFTER the system deleted everything. There are BMPs, TXT files, software.backup files, etc., but only the one mpg.

So tell me, people familiar with UNdeleting shows, did my box not only delete every recorded program but then overwrite them too? Are all my programs lost for good, or are some of these "FiledArray"s my shows???

I'm willing to ship someone the drive if they think they can do better than I have, but I don't know what good that would do. I have 15 pages of files listed, but nothing besides the one program that isn't deleted shows up (as an mpg) when I run extract_rtv. I'm not all hot & bothered about creating VCDs or anything like that, I just want to be able to get my shows off the disk. I'll worry about the rest of that long-term storage stuff later...right now, there are (were?) things on that disk that I can't replace.... *grrr* :mad:

Am I missing something (I hope)? :confused: If so, PLEASE help, 'cuz right now I'm feeling pretty SS-screwed. :eek:

Thanks to anyone who can help...

David.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
David,

Did you try a -u (look for unlinked files) on partition 2? (I don't know if win2000 is same as linux because I used dylans bootdisk and mounted an "a" windrive) The only way I can see it could have gotten rid of all those files is if it was on for hours and buffered over the entire disk? In that state it would then start buffering from the beginning of p2. Did you leave it on after you rebooted? If not you should be able to find some files I would think. This happened to my brother but his disk (WD) finished dying and I couldn't get on it to see anything.

I still have valuable files I haven't extracted yet from my own units and when I have a lockup (very seldom-- from punching to many buttons)... first I remove the live signal source (cable/sat) line so it will cease the buffer then get up close and try to hear the drives clicking and wait til they stop all writing... when drives sound quiet but spinning then I cleanly pull the power. Wait 10 minutes and plug back in. I've never had that nasty surprise of "empty" Replay Guide. Of course when it's not locked I always spin down the disks before removing power. Also use UPS backup. It seems to me that the warm reboot can maintain whatever error condition that it may then wipe the programs. So "cold" reboot should be better (as in maybe 5 to 180 minutes cold??) just like with cranky pee cee peripherals.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KenL,

The command I used (had to go back to my other system and check) was

extract_rtv -p2 -u -dd >files.txt

so this did look for "deleted/unlinked" recordings

However,

Quote:
The only way I can see it could have gotten rid of all those files is if it was on for hours and buffered over the entire disk? In that state it would then start buffering from the beginning of p2. Did you leave it on after you rebooted?
I did completely forget about the buffer. Since the system had deleted all of my guaranteed records, I didn't even think about disconnecting it from the cable. As such, it was connected to the cable but not "recording" anything for probably 3 days. I suppose this could have wiped out all of my "deleted" files??? If so, damn!

Does anyone know for certain if the buffer will use the entire "available" space on a disk? I seem to recall that it will, and in that case, the fact that I'm seeing all manner of "FiledArray"s and listings for various cable boxes is simply a matter of buffer details...not shows, just buffer.

So, definitive response please: am I hosed? Did the buffer kill all 25 hours of my "deleted" programs to the point that I will never see them again (no way to retrieve)?? I'm pretty certain what the answer is, but I've got about 2.5% optimist left...

Thanks for any assistance, commiseration, suggestions, etc.

Depressed, :(

David.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Wow that sux pretty heartbreaking. But the buffer scrambles over every sector it thinks available of p2. And several times in that kind of time period. But the brightside this won't happen to you again because you will pull that plug (and signal) and "extract" if ever you should see another wiped replay guide. These mpegs do look really cool on the computer too btw.

Now here's another word of encouragement: once in a case of upgrade convinence I opted to loose about 10 recordings (didn't have the time to extract) before swapping out some drives. The descriptions were still in my system p1 but didn't point to files. So I just recreated these "wishes" and deleted the now dead ones down the line and within weeks I was very surprised I had everything back. Whatever you can remember of what you had might be playing again sooner than you think and of course it will find them again. That being said I didn't have any unwatched first run series still on there when I did that so ymmv. There will always be something that can't be replaced. But if you use the disk spindown and "power off reboot" it should help you avoid this in the future.

Another tip here when we have this much space on these the buffer can get very large when machine is idle in fact it may only flush @ the nightly call in times of no recording or channel switching. For me a buffer this large on a half full machine can sometimes cause reduced responsiveness or minor studders which are fixed by simply changing to new channel (buffer starts over from zero) its something about how huge that file gets if the machine is left alone while not recording selections. So as long as you are not watching something 6 hours behind live or such... I try to flush the buffer before I sit down to watch "live" if I can (duh like when I select a new channel to view)

Well good luck and just look at it as a new beginning. BTW did you win that bid on was it a pre-done Seagate on ebay? How did that one work out?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
BTW did you win that bid on was it a pre-done Seagate on ebay? How did that one work out?
Are you talking about the 80GB I replaced this unfortunately deleted disk with? If so, I purchased that drive about 6 months ago, but I hadn't had the time to install it...now that I was forced to....

I _did_ also win a Comcast unit on Ubid, and it's kicking along just fine right now with 30 hours LQ record space.

I also have a 3rd ReplayTV unit (SS-HS2000) that has developed permanent stuttering. This one has me stumped, and is sitting next to my computer gear with its top off. Replacing the HD does not affect the stutter, so I'm looking into what it will take to fix the MB...this is another post [ http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=36821 ]

It has _not_ been a good 2 months for me and Replay, I'm afraid...

David.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Are you talking about the 80GB I replaced this unfortunately deleted disk with? If so, I purchased that drive about 6 months ago
Oh just saw that the other day looking @ some issue with the quiet seagate 80's not playing nice in pairs. And as to the stutter 'o death unit -- that's a challenge but looks you have the experts on the case. With the used one like a used car you never know what the poor thing has been through but then again could be something simple. I'll be watching that one with interest to see if booting it with known good image/drive/ide cable makes any difference and as you know as long as you have another unit in working service you have more patience to tinker w/extras. And btw your seagate was not one of the new ultra quiet ones? (And is that drive working ok?) well good luck and be sure to take some time to watch some TV too? ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
I'll be watching that one with interest to see if booting it with known good image/drive/ide cable makes any difference and as you know as long as you have another unit in working service you have more patience to tinker w/extras.
Did a little more tinkering with the stuttering beast. Posted an update to my original thread

Quote:
And btw your seagate was not one of the new ultra quiet ones? (And is that drive working ok?)
The 80GB drive I'm using is a 5400 Maxtor. So far, not a glitch (*fingers crossed* *sound of wood being nervously knocked upon*). Don't know anything about the Seagates, but I'm due to get a 60GB in a few days...I'll see how it does. I may dual-drive it up with the 80, but I'm not sure yet.

David.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.