AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really wanted to thank my able installer (and friend) for his latest endevour that you all have to see to believe.

He is Chris Collins (MYSPHYT on the forum) and is one of the most talented people I have met in some time and is a total nut for this hobby. He is really responsible for what my system is today and I wanted to show off some of his talent.

He nagged me for months to do this (well not really nagged but dropped hints here and there). For some time now, we have been tweaking my system to lower the noise floor and some humming. Well, we addressed the humming with hum eliminators and added balanced power. However, Chris suggested that a mess of cables, many longer than they needed to be also contributed to noise in one's system. Besides, it looked like hell in my equipment room.

He was eager to 'clarify' that situation.

Well, I let Chris have at it and over two days I can show you the before and after! I can't tell you what impact it had on my noise floor but all is quieter after all of the adjustments and additions Chris suggested.

Note that each and every cable has a label on each end as do the power cords. So if I ever want to move, adjust, etc, I can always know where those cables are supposed to be plugged in. Also, note the Power Strip running vertically down each rack. Ther is always a plug nearby.

All power cords run one way and all interconnects, digital cables, video cables run in the plastic conduit.

Here is the before calamity:

http://www.winglake.com/images/compo...ent/rackb4.JPG

Here are the afters:

http://www.winglake.com/images/compo.../rackafter.jpg

http://www.winglake.com/images/compo...rackafter2.jpg

http://www.winglake.com/images/compo...rackafter3.jpg

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Thanks for sharing Bland

Now after looking at my cable mess, I feel like a slob ;)

Just the inspiration I needed to finally attack such a job.

Maybe now I can recover those cables that are not even in use any longer

but have seemed to still get lost in the spaghetti when not removed immediately.

·
Registered
27,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are passive devices that will remove ground loops...If you like, I can get you the manufacturer.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Jeff, Thank you for the very kind compliments. Always a pleasure and privelege to have anything to do with your fine theater.

Quote:
Originally posted by 4WR
Can you elaborate on "hum eliminators"?
Jeff is currently using high quality pro grade amplifiers and DSP's to power the theater; all of which have balanced inputs while the Lexicon MC-12 pre/pro has unbalanced outputs. When interfacing balanced to unbalanced components, even with the best cables, there is going to be some noise and/or hum present, the hum eliminators provide transformer isolation and bal/unbal conversion for the pre/pro to amplifier interface.

For more on the subject check out this excellent article by Rane.

The hum eliminators used are made by Ebtech. Spec Sheet link.

·
Registered
711 Posts

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Impressive! Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
You must have spent a fortune... on zip ties. ;)

Looks great. Undoubtedly sounds even better.

·
Registered
846 Posts
DSP4 :) Are those things cool or what? :D

What's that box behind the center channel amp?

Where's that other channel of DSP going? Sub?

Chris has done a fine job. :thumb up:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Well, I now feel like a total slacker. As equipment has been added, the mess of wires behind my setup has grown increasingly hideous. Maybe we can do a "reality show" of our own and send in pix of our messes. The winner will have Chris come over and perform a makeover. All sponsored by Thebland, of course. hehe

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Very nice job! Now that's a job few want to address, for sure..

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Great job! My hats off to both of you.

We use pictures like that at where I now work to help sell custom instalation (and mid-atlantic racks).

The reduction of noise in a system is too often ignored and I hope you have seen a increased resolution of detail because of your efforts, good luck.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Oliver Deplace
DSP4 :) Are those things cool or what? :D

What's that box behind the center channel amp?

Where's that other channel of DSP going? Sub?

Chris has done a fine job. :thumb up:
The QSC DSP 4's are very cool, powerful high resolution DSP's. Using them with compatible QSC amplifiers is an extra bonus, less cables, no external power supply.

The box behind the center channel is a two channel Ebtech hum eliminator unbalanced to balanced transformer, see above post.

The other channel is indeed the subs, powered by two bridged K2 amplifiers in the adjacent rack.

Thanks Oliver!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.