AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All-

I'm trying to put together a setup in my basement with a Wii and for a rear mount projector on a floor to ceiling screen. Resolution isn't a big deal, this is for fun, not for cinema. I just need it to be short throw distance (

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
welcome to the forum chase

Your best bet would be to find a rear projection tv for cheap and cannibalize it for the chassis, then find a way to change it to front projection...the Panasonic 53 inch models are good or that.

Good luck and let us know if you get stuck

Martin

·
Registered
595 Posts
It'll be hard to find a low-hour digital for $500 even used - thought not impossible. For a Wii you're correct that resolution isn't a big issue - but while, say, an 800x600 digital PJ could technically resolve the Wii's 720x480 (? ... I know it does 16:9 but not sure if that's 852x480 or anamorphic 720x480) the odd relationship between the input and output resolutions will result in some nasty artifacts.

I think Prehjan's dead on assuming you can control ambient light and find a high-ish gain screen surface. CRT RPTVs can be had for next to nothing - or even less if you're willing to swap a couple of convergence chips.

You'll have to get your hands dirty physically and do more learning than you would with a digital, but you'll have the advantage of something you can run hard and put away wet without any care about bulb life or delicacy. As soon as you get the first one running, start scouting for another one to have waiting in the wings... pound the hell out of 'em and throw 'em away when you're done!

OTOH, if you can't control ambient light at least to some extent, you'll have to find a digital. A lower end CRT just isn't going to be able to put out enough light in front projection guise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts