AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been a Sharp guy (two displays worth) but my next door neighbor just brought home a new 46" Samsung (not sure what the model number is, but it does not have that touch of color thingy and knowing him, he spent as little as possible on it
) but the picture is freaking amazing. He had me come over to check it out and help him make a few adjustments, mainly turning down the contrast and turning off the noise reduction. We watched Hellboy 2 on an old Samsung DVD player connected via S-Video as he had no component or HDMI cable and I doubt the player had those connections anyway.

The blacks were black. Period.

You could watch if off center without the usual LCD fade away.

Very detailed for a DVD, especially considering the connection used.

Very colorful though not eye gouging like so many LCDs I see in stores.

The picture was "quiet", none of that 'busy" garbage going on like some displays have.

Some glare with the lights on but I convinced him to turn them off.

It was taking a 480i signal and doing all the processing itself. No Blu-ray, no Oppo upscaler, no HD connection.

Freaking amazing. I just had to say it again. Sorry.

I have wondered at the posts by Samsung owners proclaiming the brand to be the king of displays, etc. but now I understand your enthusiasm.

I had previously planned for my next display to be a Panasonic plasma after being disappointed with what Sharp has done recently but I may be getting a Samsung LCD instead. I can't wait to see the new models of both types in the coming months. One thing for sure, Sharp has been left in the dust by Samsung.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevToTheRedline /forum/post/15514271

I've always said, a product is only as good as it's owner.

My Samsung died on me 5 minutes after turning it on for the first time. What does that say about me?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Well I had about 10 people over watching a movie two days after purchase and in the middle of the movie the power suppy went puff, I even had it plugged in to one of those expensive monster cable power supply strips. The replacement one lasted 3 years before it broke and luckly I had best buys 4 year warranty and the gave me full purchase price after coming to my house 3 different times trying to fix it with all the parts they were ordering. Went with Sony pprojector instead.

My friend bought the same size 65 inch at the same time but a Mitsubishi and his is still looking good and going strong.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
The repair rate on Mitsu is 2.5 times that of Samsung.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I will have to take your word for that, but nobody has had to come and fix my friends going on 4 years now. I just know mine has broke twice to his zero. And the first time they replaced it with a new one so that means two different Samsungs broke on me.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
You don't have to take my word for it. That's why statements like "my xxx broke, xxxx's are bad" is stupid. If your tv breaks you can derive from it that your tv is broken, period. Now if you ask 50,000 people and 5000 say their's broke, you have a basis for a statement. CR collects data every year from hundreds of thousands of people.

·
Registered
115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 /forum/post/15519975

You don't have to take my word for it. That's why statements like "my xxx broke, xxxx's are bad" is stupid. If your tv breaks you can derive from it that your tv is broken, period. Now if you ask 50,000 people and 5000 say their's broke, you have a basis for a statement. CR collects data every year from hundreds of thousands of people.

One thing i will say about CR is that you have to take everything they say with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
You never hear or see a thread, "My tv works fine" Had 2 sammies, never had an issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts