AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have a 50" 1080P DLP in the living room. I'm looking to get a slightly bigger screen and save space by projecting onto the wall.

I saw the X10 for 1000 which got my interested. Luckily I read up on the specs and it seems this projector might not suit my needs.

Does anyone know of any other projectors that might suit my limited space?

I have ~9.5' of wall to wall space for the projector. I estimate my throw to be around 7.5'

The width of my room is 7' but about 6' usable for display.

I will be hanging the projector my the ceiling since the wall where the projector will be place is brick.

Throw: 7.5'

Width of display: 6'

Ceiling: 10'

I am not looking for an insanely big screen just something larger than 50" and the space I can save from losing my TV shelf and DLP.

Are there any sub $1000 1080P projectors that fit my needs?

·
Registered
478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mWxo3 /forum/post/16933001

Currently I have a 50" 1080P DLP in the living room. I'm looking to get a slightly bigger screen and save space by projecting onto the wall.

I saw the X10 for 1000 which got my interested. Luckily I read up on the specs and it seems this projector might not suit my needs.

Does anyone know of any other projectors that might suit my limited space?

I have ~9.5' of wall to wall space for the projector. I estimate my throw to be around 7.5'

The width of my room is 7' but about 6' usable for display.

I will be hanging the projector my the ceiling since the wall where the projector will be place is brick.

Throw: 7.5'

Width of display: 6'

Ceiling: 10'

I am not looking for an insanely big screen just something larger than 50" and the space I can save from losing my TV shelf and DLP.

Are there any sub $1000 1080P projectors that fit my needs?

Well you will probably only be able to get a 720p projector since a 1080p would be to big to even think about fitting in there. How big of a screen do you want?

Ok after looking at a few projectors the max screen size is 70" for a 7.5' short throw like that. There might be one with a much better zoom and if someone knows please post. To me, your probably better off buying a 60" plasma, LCD, or DLP tv.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
You can easily get 80" screen with a 2:1 zoom LCD like Epson, Sanyo, Panasonic.

·
Registered
478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited /forum/post/16933063

You can easily get 80" screen with a 2:1 zoom LCD like Epson, Sanyo, Panasonic.

Actually you are wrong.

I checked the epson powerlight 720 for him and at 7.5' throw its only a max of 72" with a 2.11 zoom which is more than a 2.0

Go here and input the data yourself if you don't believe me. Check the facts before responding. If you know of one that produces 80" at 7.5 then feel free to post the model for him. Otherwise your post is just misleading him.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epso...ulator-pro.htm

·
Registered
5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat82284 /forum/post/16933097

Actually you are wrong.

I checked the epson powerlight 720 for him and at 7.5' throw its only a max of 72" with a 2.11 zoom which is more than a 2.0

Go here and input the data yourself if you don't believe me. Check the facts before responding. If you know of one that produces 80" at 7.5 then feel free to post the model for him. Otherwise your post is just misleading him.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epso...ulator-pro.htm
Quote:

Yea, didn't really read that throughly. I thought he had a 9.5 feet throw.

In that case, the Sharp 510 is the best bet. 75" image at 7.5 throw.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The sharp looks good but I'm really looking into a 1080p projector incase I move to a bigger place in the next few years.

I'm looking for about a 55-60" screen. Anything bigger might be a bit too much for the eyes

·
Registered
478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mWxo3 /forum/post/16934332

The sharp looks good but I'm really looking into a 1080p projector incase I move to a bigger place in the next few years.

I'm looking for about a 55-60" screen. Anything bigger might be a bit too much for the eyes

Honestly if you only looking for that size, buy a LCD for now at 1.5k then sell it when you move. You will loose more money on the projector if you buy a 1080p one now for 2-3k. If you don't have plans to move for 1-3 years I would wait, since, this year is the prime year for cheap 1080p projectors and I'm sure 12 months from now they will still be 1k, but for a much better pj than you can get now.

Most 1080p projectors are huge, except for the HD20 or HD80. There small, but very limited throw since its DLP.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mWxo3 /forum/post/16934332

Then you should not be looking at projectors.

The Samsung LED DLP tvs are discontinued and you can find great value for a cheap price now. 61" or 67" 1080p for under $1500US now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm staying away from another DLP because I'm trying to make space in the room. My old Samsung LED DLP was AMAZING though. Currently getting rid of it for more space.

I remeasured my wall and I can have a 72" diagonal also.

Any other PJ's i should be looking at?

I prefer PJ over a LCD because I moved all my accessories over to the opposite wall. I want to keep the display wall completely empty to save space.

·
Registered
935 Posts
A couple of thoughts on this issue...

Projectors require dark rooms. The darker the better. If you're used to watching in a living room with lights on, there's a good chance that you will not like the projector's picture. It may be watchable in a room with some ambient ligh, but the picture will not be nearly a s good as the DLP RPTV you're used to.

I hear what you're saying about getting rid of the items in the front of the room, but you have to have some way to get sound from there now. Obviously the projector image does not include sound. It may be as simple as running 2 or 3 speaker cables to provide sound from small speakers. But if you don't want those wires running through your room, you have to look for something else.

Personally I think an LCD hanging on the wall is probably your best solution. Then the question is how to get video and sound to the unit. The easiest way is wireless HDMI. Although it's still nascent technology with no industry standards, it's cetainly an elegant solution. Of course it's not nearly as cheap as the Sharp DT510, but then I think it's a better overall choice in your case.

Jim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the worries about the wires and lighting however my apartment has already been prewired etc from my previous setup.

This time around I am purposely redoing my living room for a projector.

Lighting is not an issue as my apartment does not get any sun light. I use dimmable lights 24/7. My friend has a Epson 1080P projector and can watch movies without issue with his lights on.

I have a Onkyo sound system wired and run through the room already on top of a HTPC that is connected to a media server hosting 9TB's worth of MKV Blue Ray Rips.

Previous to owning the 1080p DLP I had a 720p LCD. This time around I want to try a projector and see how big of a screen I can get away with. I have already started filling in the imperfections of my wall and will be sanding it and painting it a few coats for the screen.

I am still looking for a 1080P projector that is sub $1000 dollars that I can use in my small room.

·
Registered
440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mWxo3 /forum/post/16936972

Thanks for all the worries about the wires and lighting however my apartment has already been prewired etc from my previous setup.

This time around I am purposely redoing my living room for a projector.

Lighting is not an issue as my apartment does not get any sun light. I use dimmable lights 24/7. My friend has a Epson 1080P projector and can watch movies without issue with his lights on.

I have a Onkyo sound system wired and run through the room already on top of a HTPC that is connected to a media server hosting 9TB's worth of MKV Blue Ray Rips.

Previous to owning the 1080p DLP I had a 720p LCD. This time around I want to try a projector and see how big of a screen I can get away with. I have already started filling in the imperfections of my wall and will be sanding it and painting it a few coats for the screen.

I am still looking for a 1080P projector that is sub $1000 dollars that I can use in my small room.

Let us know how you make out with that.

·
Registered
134 Posts
What others are trying to tell you is that something has to give. There are no projectors that are 1080p at 7.5 feet that are also under a grand.

If you raise your budget to about $1500 you could get a ViewSonic Pro8100, which would give you 73" diagonal at 7.5'.

Or if you are willing to do 720p you could get a few different models.

If you still don't believe us go here:
projector central.com

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ooh my bad. what I meant when I said sub 1k was upwards of 1500. I was actually looking into ordering the epson 6100 today after I got off work. Just have to allocate all the cash to my checking account to buy it.

Should give me a max of 72" screen. I measured out my length and height of my screen and I can have a 70" without bleeding over the wall to the door.

thanks for the suggestion on the viewsonic too i'm going to check it out. I just don't know which projectors have a nice zoom for my small place that are reasonably priced.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Get a TV - ShopNBC sells 73in diagonal Mitz 1080p/120hz RP with stand for around $2,000.

I don't think a PJ lens to screen throw of 9 1/2 ft in a living room environment will make you happy - just IMO.

Good Luck

·
Registered
676 Posts
72" diag I'm running a 9.5 seating to screen and 10' to screen in a living room and love it as for 1k lumen s being to dim my projector came with 850 and I had to tone it down with a filter because at that short of a throw it was too bright my very old sharp allowed for a 92" screen in the same space

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.