Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm needing to have cable runs for my xbox controllers in lengths ranging from 20 to 50 feet. I'm looking to avoid any signal loss.

It's for a huge home theater setup, and I cannot move the xboxs. I also cannot go wireless, because I need to use the original xbox controllers, and because I'll be using up to 16 controllers at once sometimes.

I've considered buying a bunch of xbox extension cables, but Boid says on his faq that 2 daisy-chained are feasible, but 3 start to create problems.

I've considered the possibility of purchasing whatever kind of cable the controller uses in really long lengths, slicing my controller cables in half, and soldering the two together.

But what kind of cable does the xbox controller use? How long could I make my runs before I experienced signal loss? Would I need to use some type of signal amplifier with them? How would I do this?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bradley

·
Registered
669 Posts
i think you could use a cat 5 cable, just buy a big spool,

or you could convert to usb and use repeaters and hubs, then convert back to the xbox controller.

your project sounds interesting, please keep us updated!

·
Registered
82 Posts
The controllers are hooked up via a USB controller, so a USB/xbox run are equal, what does that mean...who knows "The Screen Savers" tried to find out the limit USB would stop/error transmitting data and they ran out of extensions.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Instead of splicing the controller cables themselves, buy some cheap extension cables and hack those apart. Never modify the original piece when you can avoid it. :)

- Chris

·
Registered
558 Posts
As mentioned above, the xbox controllers are really usb devices. The general rule of thumb for USB is not to exceed 15 feet in any segment without a hub. That is usually a little on the conservative side and is intended more towards data intensive devices like scanners, cameras and storage devices. A controller sending comparatively little data can probably get by with a longer extension, but I'd doubt you could go 50' in a run without problems.

If only there was an xbox to usb and usb to xbox adapter. Does anyone have info on the xbox controller pinout? I remember hearing something about them using non standard power on one of the lines.

Kris

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Why don't you just experiment and see how it works with a bunch of extensions?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just out of curiosity, ever thought about getting a wireless controller? I have the MadCatz controller. It's about $60 from Fry's. Works great.

·
Registered
132 Posts
He said he couldn't go wireless because he needed to use the original Xbox controllers. Having 16 people at once, it sounds like he's running some tournaments or some serious multiplayer competition of some sort, so maybe he wants the plain jane Xbox controllers to make sure the playing field is even as far as controllers go (??).

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
If there's one site that might have the answer, it's gamesx . I couldn't find the Xbox controller pinouts in particular(the video connection pinouts are there), but I'm sure someone there knows what they are. Give 'em a try, I know they've helped me out more than I can remember.

-Phil

·
Registered
259 Posts
My dog ate one of my cables a while back and I re-soldered it together. The wire was standard 20-22 AWG nothing special in the twist or layering. I would reccomend testing it with 50' of cat5e cable spliced to an XBOX extension cable and see how it works.

·
Registered
16,639 Posts
You can use more than 2 extensions [ I have used 4 at once and it worked fine with an original S-controller - this was over 30' but not 50' ] . The only feature you might lose with longer runs is the 'rumble' [ this is what happens with the PS2 ] .

-- Jason Berg

·
Registered
547 Posts
Jason, whassup! How many PS2 extentions did you use before you lost the rumble feature???

·
Registered
16,639 Posts
Hey ,

-- I think it was 4 extensions with the PS2 and no rumble but 3 would still get it [ each extension was 6' ] .

--- Jason

·
Registered
547 Posts
Awesome! I only need 2 so I'll be cool!!! Thanks for the experiment!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.