AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ExtremeTech posted an article last Friday on "Building a High Definition Home Theater PC" that mentions the AVS HTPC forum. MyHD was used for the HDTV capture card.

The author's conclusion was that the high definition HTPC was not quite ready for primetime. I'm wondering what the reactions are of HTPC forum members.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
My initial reactions were:

1) If they can't get the hang of the IMHO "easy as dirt" MyHD menus, they have no business calling themselves anything but Extreme-Dumb. It took all of ten minutes for me to set it up out of the box.

2) No wonder they have issues with recording and playback when using a POS antenna like ANY Terk product.

3) They need to spend considerable amount of time at the AVS HTPC forum to learn about HTPC's before they ever consider writing another article. Creative sound cards? Sheesh. And just reading the Digital Connection disclaimer that Hyper-Threading CPUs NOT being supported at this time would have saved them a good amount of trouble. I have a P4 2Ghz & Intel i845WN mobo and never miss a recording, never have lockups, nary a dropout.

4) Well, at least they were smart enough to link to my 1080i HDTV-HTPC guide.

5) They can come over to my place anytime & I'll teach them a thing or two about a good working HDTV-DVD HTPC!

6) Nice try guys, but IMHO its ExtremeTech thats not quite ready to grasp the concept of a well built, working and stable HTPC. Sometimes less is better....and a little research goes a long way.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I tried pointing out some of the problems with the review but I didn't have much luck... of course I cannot grow grass on rocks either.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
off-the-air reception? No wonder they were having problems. Did they only pick up test patterns? Or is this something only available from Terk antennas (I bet they still think that HD needs a special digital antenna). It is Over-The-Air!

They obviously had put this article to bed early as the HyperThreaded problem has been covered here for weeks - I understand that some what of a solution has been found.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Karnis

Creative sound cards? Sheesh.

[/b]
Hey Karnis, I know Creative is unpopular around here but the reality is that some of their more recent offerings are quite decent units, versatile and good value for money.

I have an Audugy1 that just plain works fine and was dirt cheap. There is life outside of M-Audio you know.

·
Registered
209 Posts
anyone know anything about that antec "fusion" case they are talking about? the pic looks pretty snazzy, and if it comes with a truepower power supply, im sold.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am unable to post a URL since this is one of my first five posts so you'll need to create the URL yourself - here's the URL in the following lines (copy and paste together):

.extremetech.

com

/article2/0,3973,1265778,00.asp

·
Registered
142 Posts
So was the following quote from the article true?

"Further, there seems to be no option for capturing at full 720P or 1080i resolutions; the best offered is 720x480, or enhanced DTV resolution."

I have a Terk antenna and it seems to work fine for me here in Austin.

The local stations are only running at 10% of their target levels and I

only occasionally get a sound drop with a rare signal loss.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wayneb64
So was the following quote from the article true?

"Further, there seems to be no option for capturing at full 720P or 1080i resolutions; the best offered is 720x480, or enhanced DTV resolution."
It's pure BS!

MyHD will capture the full digital transport stream in whatever resolution is being transmitted by the station. infact it captures ALL subchannels that may include HDTV and EDTV. The captured file is not decoded before capture and when played will have the exact same video quality as the original broadcast.

People that are too stupid to own a computer should not review products they don't understand.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
People that are too stupid to own a computer should not review products they don't understand.
LOL! Well, I think that about sums it up. Damn, Cliff! You sure have a way with words! :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think most of the responses posted here are a bit harsh. The article's authors certainly did not put together what I would consider a cutting edge machine, but at least they did try by using a case many of us have and a HDTV card we use (except for me stuck back in MDP-100 land). So many articles recently tend to focus on the latest hack from Microsoft, loaded onto an HP box, with a SDTV tuner card.

The final paragraphs of the article were quite true. My grandmother, apart from being dead, could not build and operate my HTPC unassisted. But those of us who do spend the time and money necessary to arrive at HTPC/HDTV bliss, have far more functionality than we would by running down to Frys and buying a STB.

Tom

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Quote:
It's pure BS!

MyHD will capture the full digital transport stream in whatever resolution is being transmitted by the station. infact it captures ALL subchannels that may include HDTV and EDTV. The captured file is not decoded before capture and when played will have the exact same video quality as the original broadcast.

Missing the reviewers point. It was kinda confusing but what I think he was saying is that you can't capture SD content at HD resolutions. Later on in the review he correctly mentions the MyHD's ability to capture HD transport streams (though he screws up with some time-shifting talk).

All and all I say a fair review. I have to agree with some of the software layout complaints, and I see that there are more people out there with HD Playback issues on HT machines. I think they took a "We're newbie's can we do this approach", which I think is a GREAT approach for an article like this. If we want products like MyHD to become more mainstream then they have to be viewed and act more mainstream. I did get the impression that they were looking for things to ***** about, but at the same time they've pointed out some of the beefs I've had with the card.

I would still like it though if MIT could create a user interface similar to ATI's new interface on the AIW's. :)

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
I didn't miss his pointless point! It's hard enough to capture 480i in real time. Why would anyone want to waste 2 gig per minute to capture 480i at 720p.

I don't believe that MIT has ever said that MyHD can turn crappy NTSC into crappy HDTV.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
There is nothing worse than a poorly researched, misinformed and uneducated article by someone who passes themselves off as an "expert". Impressionable readers interested in building their own HDTV-HTPC take this garbage as gospel and give the HTPC a bad rep. Already there are posts on this forum asking questions based on this article and its wrong information. Knowledgeable AVS'ers should take the time and respond to this "expert" in their own forum and educate the writer as to how wrong he really is.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
My opinion while being a nice guy in the process...

your post Wayne hit the nail on the head. "ExtremeTech" i don't think so, "Extreme Novices" is very appropriate.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Quote:
I don't believe that MIT has ever said that MyHD can turn crappy NTSC into crappy HDTV.
Another gem from the fingertips of Cliff Watson. I LOVE IT! LOL....
Quote:
Originally posted by Karnis
Impressionable readers interested in building their own HDTV-HTPC take this garbage as gospel and give the HTPC a bad rep.
VERY well said. Couldn't agree more. This is PRECISELY my beef with M$'s POS XP MCE.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.