AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Very cool find.

Although I've always been a fan of three-primary devices, I must admit that the new Philips design of the scrolling prisms (last page of article) sounds like it will overcome many of the design issues of single-chip DLP (light output and rainbow artifacts).

I think I have a phobia against all of those mechanically moving parts, but if it can output 200% more light than a DLP using the same lamp, and eliminates the rainbow artifacts, I say 'bring it on'.

Very interesting reading! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Great stuff...

Just to clarify, from the article:

"As a result, a projector with the Philips scrolling color should be as much as twice as bright as color wheel designs with the same lamp and panel."

I interpret "as much as twice as bright" to mean "up to 100% brighter" than a color wheel DLP using the same bulb (double the brightness= 100% brighter).

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
My bad.

I should have said "output 200% of the light of a DLP" or some such, and not "200% MORE". I was attempting to convey "twice as much" and didn't proof-read the post. Kind of a big, small error there!

What does everyone else think of these developments? Is this the "right way" to be headed? Am I the only one who wonders about the long-term viability of rapidly moving, highly synchronized parts?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
EXCELLENT article. Thanks for the reference!

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since you guys liked the article you might like to read

others on the site. They have articles on digital imaging

(I really liked the one on the insides of digital cameras)

and digital sound. Unfortunately these long articles are

buried amongst all the short articles and reviews. For

example a really good one on surround sound is at
http://www.extremetech.com/print_art...53D1531,00.asp

An awesome article on colour matching is at
http://www.extremetech.com/print_art...53D1683,00.asp

Have fun

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
re: "Am I the only one who wonders about the long-term viability of rapidly moving, highly synchronized parts?"

No- I have the same concerns over these Rube-Goldberg-esque approaches to single-display element projectors.

I couldn't even count the number of prisms, lenses, and polarizers in that proposed single chip DLP with the spinning prisms! All those optics add up to cost and light contamination (transmission losses, dust, etc), not to mention all those silly spinning, moving parts, which look like something out of Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang or Willy Wonka's Factory http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif .

In the short run (maybe even lon run), higher yield LCOS and tried-and-true transmissive LCDs with discrete R-G-B (or Y-U-V) display elements will probabaly be the meat-and-potatoes projectors for most Ht enthusiasts. With LCD's like the Sanyo 21N, 18N, and PLV60's of the world- and their near-term successors and competitors- the contrast levels and brightness, combined with LCD's already excellent color characteristics, will probably satisfy the 95th percentile projector customers out there.

Unfortunately, the loudest/most frequent posts are from the last 5% of the projector customer distribution, and someone could get the impression that no digital projector is *any good* http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif .

[This message has been edited by Rgb (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm waiting for 1280*720, 1000:1 contrast, 2000 lumens, 2000 hour lamp, DVI, zoom lens, no hush box, no funky lenses, and no rainbows for $5000.

So my hope rests on Sanyo doing a 16:9 LCD projector, TI making DMDs cheap enough for a 3-panel machine, or scroll-wheels/crystal-power.

P.S. I was looking at a plasma panel recently and it listed a contrast ratio of 3000:1 (wow).

P.S.S. On some days I feel like getting a NEC 155 and using that until manufacturers get their act together.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting article indeed. I think the main problem with today's projectors is the heat generated from the lamp. I've actually seen a LCD panel burn up, it's a scary sight. This extreme heat will wear down key components and it is very expensive to replace them. New technology is needed that can reduce the heat source but still generate bright pictures.

BR Per-Arne Ekfeldt, Stockholm

·
Registered
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AngryofMayfair
Laser?

Maybe i am missing something but why can't a laser diode be used as a single point light source?

Hmm....

GB
GB,

I think the GLV device pioneered by Silicon Light Machines and now licenced to Sony does use lasers as their light source. But Sony has yet to produce a pro or consumer GLV device. Silicon Light Machines used this technology in creating displays for flight simulators for the military.

Regards,

Arun.

·
Registered
80 Posts
How about RF bulbs? As Dean had pointed out in one of my threads. 25,000 hrs, very low heat emission and very high output. But then again would the manufacturers incorporate this???

Is it possible to mod an existing projector to accept a different bulb (one with a different power rating) ???

regards...;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Cheers D-ILA boy, very resourceful site...makes for interesting read..

thanks...:)

·
Registered
354 Posts
So it's the poor response time of the LCD panels in my projector (Sony 400Q) that causes the smearing that makes my head swim, or perhaps that's just one source of the motion problem. In any event, I've glad to know about this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.