AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An article in Extreme Tech should be of interest / concern to all of us.

Irrespective of this article, the question itself is pertinent. Will we be able to DIY our HTPCs ? Or will a DIY be severely crippled requiring us to buy a HTPC if we want one ?

Will DIY Vista Media Centers Be DOA?

Quote:
The future of do-it-yourself video hardware in the Microsoft Vista generation is in question, as issues have surfaced surrounding two key portions of the high-definition video space.

For their part, CableCards are overseen and licensed by CableLabs, made up of the world's leading cable operators. To date, CableLabs executives have said they do not intend to license DIY implementations of Vista Media Center PCs
On the +ve side ...

Quote:
However, a second source in the add-in card market reported that "all" of Nvidia's partners designing cards around the GeForce 7900 and 7600 cards launching on March 9 would use the chip, including his firm. Nvidia representatives declined to comment on unannounced products.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataraj
Will we be able to DIY our HTPCs ? Or will a DIY be severely crippled requiring us to buy a HTPC if we want one ?
At first, you will not be able to DIY your HTPC with Vista and get any of the new functionality (e.g., CableCard, HD-DVD/BD). The expectation is that there will be a set of prescribed components that can be pulled together into a system that will pass muster, but don't expect to be able to use much more than a CPU and a hard drive in the next build (circa late 2007). Everything else that is digital is most likely going to need to be on a secure bus to play content (my expectation is that hard drives will continue to be generic, but the data that is written to them will be encrypted).

Or that's the way I see it. How I'm voting with my wallet: Series 3 Tivo, HD-DVD player, Blu Ray Player and an HDMI switch.

Later,

Bill

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa
Or that's the way I see it. How I'm voting with my wallet: Series 3 Tivo, HD-DVD player, Blu Ray Player and an HDMI switch.
I'm voting with my wallet in exactly the opposite way. I refuse to by an STB to do a job my PC can do just as well (theoretically), especially if CP/DRM is the only reason I can't use the PC.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
I really don't trust ExtremeTech as a source. They can't even report the present correctly, so their predictions of the future are meaningless, IMHO.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa
At first, you will not be able to DIY your HTPC with Vista and get any of the new functionality (e.g., CableCard, HD-DVD/BD). The expectation is that there will be a set of prescribed components that can be pulled together into a system that will pass muster, but don't expect to be able to use much more than a CPU and a hard drive in the next build (circa late 2007). Everything else that is digital is most likely going to need to be on a secure bus to play content (my expectation is that hard drives will continue to be generic, but the data that is written to them will be encrypted).

Later,

Bill
This can't be good news for all the armchair lawyers who have been tossing around the phrase "class action lawsuit" when discussing HDCP compliance and their ATI video cards. ;)

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoJames
This can't be good news for all the armchair lawyers who have been tossing around the phrase "class action lawsuit" when discussing HDCP compliance and their ATI video cards. ;)
It actually won't have any bearing on Vista. Basically, the article is stating that Cablelabs will not allow any decoding products to be sold as a separate component. Any company wanting to build cablecard based HTPC is going to have to submit a design to Cablelabs, and it has to be certified. The license fees will be very high, much higher than HDMI license, which basically means that Cable-HTPCs will be available only to the large companies that can afford to pay up front. It is a pay-to-play scheme.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Its all going to depend on what sort of barrel "cable" has us over. Content vs Control, I want both, but content is going to win unless the cost is silly. In terms of the lesser of two evils, paying Cable for a set top box wins in my mind over paying Microsoft for Vista.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark
It actually won't have any bearing on Vista. Basically, the article is stating that Cablelabs will not allow any decoding products to be sold as a separate component. Any company wanting to build cablecard based HTPC is going to have to submit a design to Cablelabs, and it has to be certified. The license fees will be very high, much higher than HDMI license, which basically means that Cable-HTPCs will be available only to the large companies that can afford to pay up front. It is a pay-to-play scheme.
I think all that VideoJames was trying to say is that there would be no lawsuits as to existing videocards because Vista will keep them from being HDCP compliant. It would be a defense to the hardware manufacturers that the software didn't allow it to work.

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk
I really don't trust ExtremeTech as a source. They can't even report the present correctly, so their predictions of the future are meaningless, IMHO.
I agree. Neverthless the title question is worth talking about ...

Most of the PCtech websites are concentrating on the HDCP - video card issues. I think that is least of the problems ....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.